CYA = 122 How Much Bleach To Shock a 28,000 Gallon Pool?

Apr 23, 2013
My CYA is at 122. Very High. And I'm not ready to Drain 60% of my Pool Water at this point in time.
I'm no Longer Using the Chlorine Tabs, so I'm hoping my CYA doesn't get any higher.
I have a couple of Pool Leaks in My Tiles That Cause It To Leak 1 Inch of Water in 3 Days.
I'm hoping the combination of the Leak, Rain & Refilling will Lower CYA at least a little bit.
My Question is, How much Bleach or Chlorine Will It Take To Shock My 28,000 Gallon Pool?
Also, Can I Still Use The Pool Shock Granules in Packets?
Thanks in advance.

Re: CYA = 122 How Much Bleach To Shock a 28,000 Gallon Pool

I strongly recommend you replace water to get your CYA level down to something more reasonable. Fighting algae with CYA at 100+ is exceedingly difficult.

One big problem is that there is no way to know if your CYA is really 122. None of the common tests are at all precise at levels above 90. Your CYA level could just as likely be 200 as 122.

"The Pool Shock Granules" might be any of several chemicals. You really want to avoid using anything that contains dichlor, which like the tablets contains CYA. Products that contain cal-hypo are usable as long as your CH level isn't too high, though they are generally powers instead of granules.

Everything else can be figured out using the Pool Calculator. See the link in my signature.

Thanks for the quick response.
I have concerns about foundation & such. There are fine line cracks in concrete on Pool Deck.
If I empty half the Water, is it safe? I would not want my pool to crumble into pieces.
And how could I safely dispose of 15.000 Gallons of Water?
The cost of the new Water would be about $200. I'm guessing. But that would be ok.

Unless your pool is in the middle of an obvious swamp you can always pump out 18" safely. If need be you can do that several times. This is a slightly less efficient use of water, i.e. uses more water, but otherwise works just fine. If you know how deep the ground water table is in your area you can pump down to that level without problems.

The amount of water in a pool isn't really all that large compared to the amount of water that falls on your entire property in a heavy rain. There is almost invariably a storm drain, or other place where rain runoff accumulates that is safe to pump to.

What would be the best method to drain the water out?
Obviously the Faster, the Better. Don't want to have too many days without my Pump Running.

You could always use a garden hose to drain the water and add water with another garden hose
That way you are changing water slowly
Put your siphon hose on one end and the the other hose on the opposite end
Not my idea
I believe I read it here and it makes sense to me anyways

You should match the fill rate with the drain rate using a bucket and a timer. Then you can multiply out the time into gallons exchanged. You could also use a big tarp to separate the water, lessening mixing, some people put a huge tarp all across the pool, fill water on top of tarp, draining water frOm underneath.

Dino,

I went through this whole process. Due to my infloor cleaner plumbing, the main pump will only drain 7" from my pool. So what I did was buy a 1/3 hp submersible pump (from harbor freight) with 1.5" outlet and a drain hose (had to get this from sears hardware store for some reason). This pump took 4.5"/hour out of my pool. My pool is about 38x18. I let it run for 3 hours (about 13"), then turned the hose on to refill, it takes about 9 hours to fill up. I did this 3 times as my CYA was near 200. My CYA is now somewhere around 30-60 (I can't read that darn test for nothing).

Jason is right, with CYA that high, you will spend more money on chlorine than water trying to fix it. Plus, you will have to maintain a high level of FC after the shocking is complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yea I have no doubt you are all are right. Before this Forum, I knew nothing about CYA. And my Pool guy for the last 7 years never mentioned it. I'm waiting to get me test kit to test what the CYA is. My current Kit doesn't test for CYA. The reading I have is from an ACE Hardware Store & I don't trust it. I'm sure my luck, the CYA is actually over 200.
I see a lot of discrepancies in running the CYA test. Why is it so hard to get a true number?

If you test CYA with liquid reagent, you should be able to get + or - 10ppm which is certainly good enough for what we all need. Testing with ANYTHING else can be somewhat or even drastically unreliable.

Yea I'll wait for my Kit to give the real test! :) In the meantime, I lowered my PH a bit buy going by The Pool Calculator & adding almost 2 Quarts of Muriatic Acid. I tested with the old Test Kit.
It's almost where it should be.
I'm having a heck of a time with Pollen, Leaves, etc...I'm going to have to try out my first Manual Vacuum soon. The Polaris just won't get the small stuff.
I'm taking Baby Steps here, I know.
Tomorrow, just for the heck of it, I'm bringing a test sample to ACE Hardware to see how off their Computer really is. See if it says PH came down. I work next door to them, so nothing to lose.
I'd like to thank each & every one of you that replied to my posts. I really do appreciate it. I no longer feel like a Deer in Headlights! :)

One more thing. If I put Bleach, Liquid Chlorine & the Shock in the Packets in my Pool, will any of that raise my CYA?
I'm done with the Chlorine Tabs. Just want to make sure I don't do something to make it worse.

harleysilo,
Like your idea of Fill Rate Matching Drain Rate.
Since I have a Spa attached to my Pool 40 feet away from the Deep End, Couldn't I fill from the Spa end & Drain from the furthest part away of the pool's Deep End. Then the new Water would go in over the wall of the spa.
Does that sound right? Or will that not work & I'll be losing the new Water?
Thanks.
Dino

dino1956 said:
One more thing. If I put Bleach, Liquid Chlorine & the Shock in the Packets in my Pool, will any of that raise my CYA?
I'm done with the Chlorine Tabs. Just want to make sure I don't do something to make it worse.

Bleach and Liquid Chlorine are the same thing, Sodium Hypochlorite - just different % strengths.

Shock in the packets may contain CYA - Dichlor - "dichloro-s-triazinetrione" is the active ingredient - contains CYA.

There are other forms of packets labeled "shock" that are not Dichlor and do not contain CYA. MPS and Cal-hypo are two examples.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.