still brushing and shocking black algae - should filters run

May 26, 2008
spain
Firstly I want to say thanks for this site - the info is enormously useful. I live in Spain and don´t have access to a lot of the kit you mention, anyway....
I have black algae and have been in the pool with a wire brush rubbing it off. I have shocked the pool and the chlorine level is remaining high which I think is good news. I can´t get at the algae in the deep end of the pool and so I´m now trying to find a scuba kit so that I can get down there and scrub away. This may take a couple of days because I´m in a fairly remote spot (for dive kit anyway). So my question is - should I be running the filters as per normal or not? I´m worried that I´ll just get spores (or whatever) in the pump and they´ll fester there and re-emerge to torture me! Also should I be using algicide at this point in the clean up or is there no point to that?
Muchas gracias!

Welcome to TFP!

The key to killing black algae is high chlorine levels and frequent brushing. Brushing several times a day is more important than brushing really throughly. A standard pool brush on a long pole should be sufficient. Another approach is to place a trichlor tablet directly on the black algae and let it sit there for a couple of hours.

In any case you should leave the pump/filter running. As long as you maintain high chlorine levels the spores won't be able to survive in the water.

Thanks for your help, chaps.

I have been over every square inch of the pool now and there is not one scrap of black algae left. I´ve shocked again and am running the filters...so it´s looking good. What are the chances of my remaining algae free after this?

Also I noticed little holes where I ´d knocked the algae off and I´m wondering are they bad news? (I´m presuming they´re not good, anyway!) - could they be the cause of future water leaks? Can I get down there in my scuba gear and squirt some bathroom silicone on to them....is that a good idea?

Cheers
Poolqueen

Black algae can come back sometimes. It is very difficult to kill it completely. It burrows into the plaster where some small part of it can hide from the chlorine. I would do an extra day at high/mustard algae shock levels to have the maximum chance of getting rid of it.

I have never heard of black algae causing leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.