22 Years of Bauq - No More!

Update - The pool is doing perfect in every way. SWG is working great and working on dialing in the setting to maintain the FC. Letting it drop slowly.
We decided to disconnect the solar panels last night and I did. They have been a source of pink algae since the get go. We were still seeing dead white stringers coming out. That and the chance a hose could fail while we were at work was just about enough. With the pool doing so well it was decided to take the last chance of any issues out of the equation. Panels will come up and decking put down in their place. No more driving in after work looking over to see if the pool is still full :roll:
Will post before and after pics when I get er done. Might even get to get in the pool this weekend, the weather is possibly going to warm up a tad.
Again, thanks to this board, best pool thing we ever did.

M&B said:
Roger that. With respect to the 7 day comment it was about 3 1/2 weeks for us all total. Long time, it began to wear on us. Worth every bit to get away from Bauq and all the associated headaches with that.

How many gallons of bleach did you end up using for the whole process?

Between 40-50. Lost count. We started the conversion from a winter hibernation so the levels of Bauq were down. In hindsight that really didn't mean that much. Getting the initial mess out went fine. Getting the last bit out took almost two weeks. Even a small amount of Bauq will just eat your FC to pieces as we found out. Follow the program, stay with it, you will succeed.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, we stopped a bit prematurely, even the SWG at 100% could not keep up with the FC and that is a T9 cell. After going back and attacking it and keeping the FC higher since we had a CYA level of 90, we beat it.
As of today, I have the SWG set at 45% and the system on for 12 hours a day only. This is yielding a FC of 8ppm. Our CYA is still around 80-90 and the water is warming up so I am careful not to let it drop to far. With the Bauq gone now the SWG could really bring the level up if I turned it up. I am very pleased. I swam in the pool last night for the first time (79°). Wow, what a nice feeling on your skin when it dries from the saltwater. So smooth, itch free. +10
Our lessons learned:
*Wal-mart bleach is fine. Works great and cheap.
*Don't use granulated with it as well, it will add CYA early on. Liquid only.
*Stay with the program until you pass the test.
*Keep your spirits up, you will succeed. This is easier said than done.
*Don't make jokes about another thread where the person shows 60+ empty bottles in their shed. It could take all that for you too...
*It is worth every dime you spend to rid yourself of Bauq.
*Taylor titrating test kit is excellent. You will need to buy additional supplies during the process as you test so frequently (amazon.com) We tested twice a day during the process.
*Using the above test kit yields results "far superior" to what the pool store can only hope to achieve. *We found the pool store water testing is a total joke, seriously.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.