Is my impeller bad?

May 3, 2013
Sarasota,FL
I'm in process of replacing a Sta-Rite Dura Glas pump motor, 1 hp. I noticed my old impeller had a chip on the side of it as shown below. I am wondering if it really needs to be replaced? I thought it would, but then when I got the new one out of the package I found what I think may be imperfections. So, now I'm wondering if the chip is not a big deal and I should go ahead and use the old impeller, return the new impeller? Thanks for help!

Attachments

• 3-P1010117.JPG
    3-P1010117.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 2-P1010115.JPG
    2-P1010115.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1-P1010114.JPG
    1-P1010114.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 79
As long as the old impeller doesn't cause any excess vibration when it is running, it is probably ok. You can run the motor with and without the impeller (without seal too) and see if there is any noticeable vibration difference. That should tell you if the chip is causing any significant imbalance.

Just as a follow-up in case anyone looks at this sometime down the road....

My old impeller didn't seem to have a balance issue caused by the chip. I went back to the pool store that I bought the new impeller from and the associate there didn't think the chip would cause an issue. He also took back the new impeller I bought and agreed that it was a manufacturer's defect. He said he didn't think he'd have any problem returning it to the manufacturer.

How did you remove the impeller? My impeller is spinning freely on the motor shaft.
img20130511093652.jpg

Edit - I figured it out, the impeller plastic separated from the metal center of the impeller...I apologize that my first search wasn't thorough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.