Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my impeller bad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my impeller bad?

I'm in process of replacing a Sta-Rite Dura Glas pump motor, 1 hp. I noticed my old impeller had a chip on the side of it as shown below. I am wondering if it really needs to be replaced? I thought it would, but then when I got the new one out of the package I found what I think may be imperfections. So, now I'm wondering if the chip is not a big deal and I should go ahead and use the old impeller, return the new impeller? Thanks for help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14,0000 gallon, rectangle, in-ground pool with Pebblesheen finish. 1 hp Sta-Rite Dura-Glas pump and TA60 Tagelus sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my impeller bad?

And here's a photo of the new impeller....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14,0000 gallon, rectangle, in-ground pool with Pebblesheen finish. 1 hp Sta-Rite Dura-Glas pump and TA60 Tagelus sand filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as the old impeller doesn't cause any excess vibration when it is running, it is probably ok. You can run the motor with and without the impeller (without seal too) and see if there is any noticeable vibration difference. That should tell you if the chip is causing any significant imbalance.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Just as a follow-up in case anyone looks at this sometime down the road....

My old impeller didn't seem to have a balance issue caused by the chip. I went back to the pool store that I bought the new impeller from and the associate there didn't think the chip would cause an issue. He also took back the new impeller I bought and agreed that it was a manufacturer's defect. He said he didn't think he'd have any problem returning it to the manufacturer.

5. Back To Top    #5

How did you remove the impeller? My impeller is spinning freely on the motor shaft.

Edit - I figured it out, the impeller plastic separated from the metal center of the impeller...I apologize that my first search wasn't thorough.
    In-ground Gunite 16' X 40'
    Tagelus TA/60 Sand Filter
    A.O. Smith 1 HP Motor
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II Pump
    Pentair #320 Inline Chlorinator
    Intermatic Mechanical Timer