Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Something just doesn't make sense, here

1. Back To Top    #1
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Something just doesn't make sense, here

I got this mailer from Leslies.

If a one pound bag of "shock" is three bucks, how come a twelve pack is fifty? Who'd pay fourteen bucks for a cardboard box to carry the stuff home in?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Something just doesn't make sense, here

Heh heh! Good question. I'd ask the 16 year-old running the counter and see what they say.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mandeville, Louisiana

Hey Richard,

Did you not read the ad? It is 1 pound of QUALITY shock or 12 pounds of Shock. You really want the quality stuff, don't you?

Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

LOL....You guys are COLD!!!!!
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

5. Back To Top    #5

Funny you should mention it. I went to Leslie's today to buy some calcium chloride dihydrate (aka "Hardness Plus"). The lady working the register appeared to be high out of her mind. Pupils dilated, tripping over herself, took nearly 10 minutes to ring me up at the register. At one point she closed her eyes and started zoning out for a solid 30 seconds until I asked her if she was okay. Next time I go (if there is a next time), I'll ask if she's in charge of marketing as well.

But seriously, I'm on the fence about what to do with the survey on my receipt.
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013