West Monroe, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I've been reading and researching different pool aerator designs and ideas. My question is what is more important, the water coming out of the aerator or the agitation of the water from the aerator? My plan is to insert a "T" in my return line with a valve so that I can choose when to use it. One idea is to try a shower head that I have laying around or create an orifice out of PVC. From researching my idea I've come to the conclusion that the more holes the better, but should the aerator be pointed up (arch) or down (into the water). Any ideas, pictures, feedback, and experience is welcomed.

Sounds like it is more trouble that what is worth. Assuming you are trying to lower TA, aeration just speeds up the process but is there a reason you need to lower TA quickly?

Another approach is the slow method. Simply add acid when the PH rises and TA will lower on its own over time. Also, just pointing the returns upward can speed things up a bit.

I agree with mas985 here. Most of us old timers will agree that TA is not one of those items that needs emergent management. That is, unless your TA is 0 or something. TA tends to find its "happy place" through routine acid additions. I have found that when I simply concentrate on pH and add acid as needed to keep the pH between 7.2 and 7.8, the TA comes down on its own and finds a spot it likes. Mine hugs 70 for the most part. What is your TA right now?

I'm offshore right now so I can't give you the most recent TA reading; last reading I got while I was on days off was 130 which was less than a week ago. I just recently cleaned my "pond" out and refilled from scratch. The pH was a low (6.8), so I threw some baking soda in the pool and brought it up to 7.3. My wife said it's still clear, so that's good.

The last three years that I've managed my pool myself, I did not worry too much with TA and concentrated on FC and watched my pH, which I had very little problems with (if any). The reason for wanting to make an aerator is so that I have it in case I would ever need it. I guess that's my oilfield way of thinking. I may never use it, but I have it in case I ever do need it.

I try to get the water chemistry as close to perfect as possible so that all there is to do is keep chlorine in it while I'm at work. This method has worked well for three years now.

I can't answer your question, but I made some sprayers to cool off my pool. I captured in a bucket the sprayed water and measured a 10 degree temp loss. Mine achieve a rain affect over 1/3 of the pool each. I don't recall noticing an affect on TA or PH but I never ran them say overnight. I mainly used them to provide a cool rain affect when the pool was +94 for the kids and I to play in.

I'm not sure if a more forceful areartion caused by aiming them into the pool and aggressively agitating the water would work better for adjusting levels.

holubec37 said:
I'm offshore right now so I can't give you the most recent TA reading; last reading I got while I was on days off was 130 which was less than a week ago. I just recently cleaned my "pond" out and refilled from scratch. The pH was a low (6.8), so I threw some baking soda in the pool and brought it up to 7.3.
There's your problem! Baking Soda raises TA a lot with little effect on pH. Soda Ash or Borax will raise pH a lot without affecting TA very much.

That's the stuff to keep around for quick response :wink:

In essence, you added a lot of TA and now you're trying to get rid of it. Don't start that vicious cycle! It'll make you as crazy as being pool-stored! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.