Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best barbecue to buy in 2013?

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: Whats the best barbecue to buy in 2013?

I recommend a Primo ceramic grill . I've had a gas grill for years... purchased the Primo XL and built my own table to set it in earlier this Spring. The Primo is OUTSTANDING!!! I've overcooked plenty of food on my gasser that ended up getting thrown; on the Primo, even when I overcook, the food is still moist and very good. The Primo has a higher learning curve but the food is soooo much better. Reversed seared some steak last weekend - best steak I ever made on a grill. Smoked some Baby Back Ribs that fell off the bone before that. Can't recommend it enough. Check out the Primo Grill Forum at [url]http://www.primogrillforum.com/url]; they have a lot of info - support, recipes, etc..
    2013 21,500 Gal. 28' Round AB Doughboy
    DE Filter, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Solar & Rheem 400k heat

2. Back To Top    #2

The Weber Genesis is the best grill I have ever owned. I have a NG unit with the side burner. I got the SS model but after a year I purchased the cast iron grates. My brother has the black Weber Genesis and his CI grates cook and season better than the SS grates. If money would have not played into the equation, I would have purchased a TEC infrared grill. I have read that the TEC can reach temperature of above 800 degrees which is great for cooking steaks and pizza.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

I can only recommend a BGE ( big green egg). Temps of 800 are attainable, as well as low smoking temps. The only drawback is its charcoal, but with an electric starter it takes about 20 mins to get it ready. The biggest plus is it doesn't wear out like a NG grill. I love mine, And will never go back to cooking on NG or propane.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a 2 yo Big Green Egg, a 14 yo Weber genesis gas grill, and a 30 year old weber 22 inch kettle.

I love cooking on the BGE, and except for the lead time to get it rolling is my favorite of the three.
    I like the fast turn-on convenience of the genesis for burgers, and hot dogs or other things that aren't worth the time/effort to start the BGE.
    I rarely use the Weber kettle any more, but use it in addition to the BGE when having a larger group.
    Pool IG 16,000 gallon (33 x 16) Spa IG 700 gallon spa - Dark Plaster, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test
    Sta-Rite IntelliPro VS 3050, Pentair FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE 150 GPM (rating from manual)
    Pentair Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC40, Polaris 360, Lars Lx400 NatGas heater, Fafco Solar panels

5. Back To Top    #5

I just bought the Genesis E-330 in copper and I love it!
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

6. Back To Top    #6

Can't go wrong with Weber and is back by one of the best warranty out there. Had a Genesis Silver for 12 yrs and I sold it for a $100 just can't believe someone actually bought it, now we have the SS-330.

7. Back To Top    #7

My vote is for a ceramic egg style Kamado Grill. They have tons of versatility and allow you to smoke, grill or even bake!! I bought the Vision Classic from Costco and have been very happy with it.

Below are a few pictures from my Cinco De Mayo ribs!!

Notice the smoke ring...
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

I am very happy with my lynx grill. I went with the 42" model with 2 standard burners and one proSear. The lynx prosear is one of the only infrared burners that actually adjust its temp range. You can sear anything from steaks and sea scallops. I suggest you take a look at it when comparing grills.
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

What's the best barbecue grill to buy? The one that works best for your cooking style. I have a Lynx with ProSear and love it for searing steaks and ahi tuna. When it comes to traditional slow cooked BBQ, I like the offset wood burning smokers.

One general observation concerning gas grills (propane & NG) is that those with more burners provide more flexibility in controlling not only the heat output, but the directness / indirectness of the flame. This allows you to grill a wide variety of items including those requiring direct heat (steaks/burgers) and indirect heat (steamed corn on the cob, veggies, and yes, pizza).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

TEC Infrared! Expensive, but oh so fast, easy, and tasty!
    35'x16' IG geometric with 8'x6' spa (16.5K gallons); White Diamond Pebblesheen w/Abalone Shells; Jandy 460 cartridge filter; Jandy 2HP E pump; Jandy 400K heater; Water Tech Blue Diamond Pro; TF-100 w/SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

Whats the best barbecue to buy in 2013?

For the money char griller kamado. You can go bge or KJ for 3 times the price but having cooked on both the steel kamado cook just as good. As far as longevity ceramic wins hands down. I got my chargriller on sale over Christmas for $250. I can smoke at 225 for 15 hours or sear at 700. I plan on building mine in a bar I am building under the gazebo.
    8 pound butt after smoking for 6 hours.

Here they are finishing off the last 30 on my gasser.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

12. Back To Top    #12

Yep, the metal kamados are great! I have a Big Steel Keg, which is similar to what Kyle posted above but more expensive...not as much as a ceramic, but more solidly built than the CGK. I wouldn't be without a big stick burner too...but that's not for everyone

Obligatory pics

waiting for pizza:

pizza cooked on the keg:

the big one:

11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

13. Back To Top    #13

Whats the best barbecue to buy in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Yep, the metal kamados are great! I have a Big Steel Keg, which is similar to what Kyle posted above but more expensive...not as much as a ceramic, but more solidly built than the CGK. I wouldn't be without a big stick burner too...but that's not for everyone

Obligatory pics

waiting for pizza:

pizza cooked on the keg:

the big one:

Is that a bacon wrapped pork loin or bacon wrapped fatty in the last pic?
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

14. Back To Top    #14

I think that one's cheeseburger...ground beef stuffed with burger toppings and cheese. Either that or pizza...not sure!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

15. Back To Top    #15

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Had I ever tried a chimney starter rather than the old 6 bottles of lighter fluid Uncle Gus style (remember Eddie Murphey's Uncle Gys and Aunt Bunny I think her name was?) I would never have bothered with gas all these years. Got a charcoal smoker last year and used a chimney starter for the first time. It doesn't take any longer to start charcoal than it does to heat up a gas grill.

Now I want an old fashion Weber Kettle gril.

Lump charcoal is the way to go too. Pure charcoal with no added chemicals. I do want to try out the Kingsford Competition briquets as they are suppose to have no added chemicals either aside from the binder used to make the briquet from the charcoal powder.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

I like my Komodo Kamado. This is the mid sized 23 inch and can cook a 16 pound brisket and 9 slabs of ribs at the same time.
    http://www.komodokamado.com/

32000 gallon, inground, fiberglass, Aqua-Rite SWG, Pentair 420 sqft cartridge filter (Installed-ya baby), Hayward Super II pump 1.5 hp, 144k BTU heat pump, Dolphin Dx5 Plus, and a good test kit from Duraleigh!

17. Back To Top    #17

I love my el cheapo grande, 48 bucks from Wallymart on sale last November. So far this year I've done 4 racks of pork ribs (221 method), 5 porkloins, a salmon filet (didn't care for it) and a butterflied whole chicken. It keeps the temp between 220 and 250 with very little effort, but it does burn through lump charcoal quickly.

21' AG (~11,000 gallons)
    Hayward S180T sand filter (35 gpm)
    Hayward Power-Flow SP1510 pump

18. Back To Top    #18

That question can start a war!

I am a firm believer of the Egg, but any of the ceramic cookers are the way to go. If you are looking for a single piece of equipment that will do it all, slow quick, quick cook, anything in between they are hands down the best. They last forever (or until you drop something on them) and require little maintenance other than feeding the lump. I have done 30 hour smokes on 1 load of charcoal in the Egg at 200 degrees, and I have done 6 minute steaks. Decide for yourself, but I will never go back to gas!

My set up

19. Back To Top    #19

Good thread and awesome pics! Personally, I like the old school offset smoker with the option for direct heat cooking (like Melt in the suns), but I can see the appeal for the ceramic type cookers..for the smaller party
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

20. Back To Top    #20

I don't know if this is the best bbq or not but...

I simply fill it with pellets, flip a switch, set the temp and come back in a few minutes and cook.

I can sear a steak at over 800 deg.

I can cook cold smoke. I can smoke pulled pork overnight as low as 180 deg.

I can smoke ribs at 260 deg (or whatever temp I want to cook at).

When I am done all I have to do is flip the switch off and after it cools a little bit empty the ash drawer.
    PG-500, WSM, 20K Gal gun pool w/ Aqua Pure 1400 SWG, flagstone coping, gray plaster, DE Filter, 400K BTU nat gas heater and Polaris 280 cleaner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast