Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about graduated cylinders

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about graduated cylinders

I have accumulated a fairly complete test kit and am curious as if there is any problem using the same graduated cylinder to perform all the different tests that I do. I have a kit that tests Chlorine, Bromine (Using MPS removal drops), TA, Calcium hardness, Salt, and phosphates all using drop tests with graduated cylinders. Should any of these be done in a separate cylinder?
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

500 Gal Dynasty Miramax Fiberglass Cinema Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about graduated cylinders

Well, the FASDPD test tends to discolor the cylinder but other than that it shouldn't matter really. Rinse really well between tests. I use the same one that came with my speedstir for a lot of the tests..
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, just keep the FAS-DPD one separate. As long as the graduations are accurate, there should be no problem.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it just an issue of discolored cylinders with the FAS-DPD? There is no interference with the other tests if I use the same cylinder and replace it periodically?
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

500 Gal Dynasty Miramax Fiberglass Cinema Spa

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kgriggs
    Is it just an issue of discolored cylinders with the FAS-DPD? There is no interference with the other tests if I use the same cylinder and replace it periodically?
    Just rinse them between tests. I have accumulated enough vials and stir bars so that I can run all my tests before I have to do the dishes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!