How much do I need to buy? Filling pool for first time

Mar 7, 2013
I have been reading around and I am going to do the BBB method but I am unsure as to how much of the BBB chemicals I will need to add. Should I buy 20 gal of bleach, or do I only need 3? I think our pool is around 14,000 gal.
What about Borax and Baking Soda? When you have to add stuff are you adding while boxes, or just a cup or two?

I have no idea what to expect and don't want to run out to the store everyday.

Also, In addition to BBB, I need to get cyanuric acid from the pool store, right?
I there anything else I need to start our?

Thanks,
Danielle

You can use The Pool Calculator to calculate dosing. Is your pool an outdoor pool? If so, then the typical daily chlorine usage will be 2-3 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) per day, depending on CYA level and the amount of sun on your pool (also, your UV system will break down chlorine as well, but probably not that much since such systems are typically undersized for residential pools and as we've noted, they aren't needed in an outdoor residential pool). So in 14,000 gallon, 2-3 ppm FC is 58-87 fluid ounces (about 7-11 cups) of 6% bleach or 42-63 fluid ounces (about 5-8 cups) of 8.25% bleach or 28-43 fluid ounces (about 3-1/2 to 5 cups) of 12.25% chlorinating liquid per day. So per week that's around 3-5 gallons of 6% bleach, 2-3.5 gallons of 8.25% bleach or 1.5-2 gallons of 12.5% chlorinating liquid.

When using bleach or chlorinating liquid as your primary source of chlorine, you usually do not need to use Borax since you usually do not need to raise the pH. Instead, you may need to lower the pH on occasion using Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid). You also will not generally need to use Baking Soda unless your water is initially low in Total Alkalinity (TA). For most people, once their water is initially balanced, they only need to add chlorine and a small amount of acid. That's all I do, for example.

Cyanuric Acid is pretty much the only chemical you would need to get from the pool store unless they have chlorinating liquid. Why don't you give us a full set of test results from your TFTestkits TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006) test kit and we can help you from there.

Yes post a test of your fill water - you may not need borax or baking soda. I usually keep a few jugs of liquid on hand per week, grab it when I do my grocery shopping, or stock up from pool store (local one has good price on 12.5%).

You can get HTH Cyanuric Acid from Walmart for about $16 for 4 lbs. It's a good price and it dissolves well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.