CYA High Turn Chlorinator Off

Apr 23, 2013
I'm new here. Don't really know anything. :)
Just did my 1st Test with Test Kit.
Chlorine is way over 3.0
PH 8.3
TA 90
I don't have a CYA Test Kit right now but Store Pool Test says CYA is 122

Question: Is it ok to turn my Chlorinator Off while the Pump is Running?
I want to start using Liquid Chlorine instead of Tabs in Chlorinator.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the quick Reply! It's a Rainbow Typical Cylinder Chlorinator with the twist off top.
The Test on my Test Kit for Chlorine only goes to 3.0. Maybe I need a better test kit.
I plan to buy Muriatic Acid & Liquid Chlorine or Bleach.
I have a 28,000 Gallon Rectangle Pool, Gunite.
According to my Acid Demand Table Chart it says to add 1 3/4 Pints Muriatic Acid.
But when I tested Total Alkalinity,that Chart it said Add 1.5 Gallons
I'm confused because the Adjusting Total Alkalinity chart only goes up to 30 PPM
Is that the amount it adjusts it? Sorry for all the dumb questions. I just don't know!
Thanks again.

Go to the pool calculator link from the above post....plug in your current numbers in the left hand column, your target numbers in the right hand column....and it will tell you how much of what chemical to add.

If you need help figuring out the pool calculator let me know. It's really simple to get all the right numbers once you figure out how to use it. Yes, you need a better kit. Read the Test Kits Compared article in Pool School to see the 2 kits we recommend.

if you move your cursor over the 47 oz it will tell you how many cups. It's roughly a third of a jug. Doesn't have to be exact. Make sure you have all your numbers in, the TA number affects the amount of acid they tell you to add.

I see! You have to Mouse Over the Amount.
Comes to 1Qt 1Cup 7 Oz. But is that the correct Selection from the drop down? 31.45% Baum?

Update:
After putting both TA & PH in it came up with 1 Qt. 1 Cup 3 Oz. Cool Tool! Thanks.

But what does this all mean???? 31.45% Baum?

Sorry for Off Topic, but I see nothing in Pool School on the Setup for Vacuuming.
I need to know how to set the Lines going to the Pump.
Should I Vacuum to Waste? Turn off Main Drain Line?
Do I buy a Skimmer Plate or does the Hose fit into Skimmer Hole?
Another Question: Could I get away with Using my Polaris 280 & Not Vacuum?
These are all things I need help with & can't seem to find. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Polaris really won't get the finer stuff. You can plug right into the skimmer hole - a plate is optional but helps esp if there are leaves. But if you have Polaris let that grab the leaves, and plug in the hole to get the silty stuff directly. You should adjust your valves to the main to increase suction to the skimmer but full skimmer might be too much causing the vac head to stick or be tough to move. If you don't mind the water loss vac to waste is better for alotta gook... sometimes too much gook will blow through the sand back into the pool. If its not a lot of silty stuff and you go VERY SLOW... you can vac to filter.

I live in Northwest Florida. Lots of Pollen & Leaves right now. A Mess. Had Polaris going all day.
But I'm not sure it's getting the fine Particles.
I still need some direction on setting up & vacuuming. Is there a Link I can go to?
I need those questions answered before I do my first Manual Vac.
Thank you.

I need to know how to set the Lines going to the Pump.
Should I Vacuum to Waste? Turn off Main Drain Line?
Do I buy a Skimmer Plate or does the Hose fit into Skimmer Hole?

Well, I kinda sorta thought I answered the questions...

Attach the vac head, hose and pole. Submerge and hold pole. place other end of hose up to a return to "prime" the hose. Keep the end of the hose under water and insert it through the skimmer mouth and put it in the hole in the skimmer. You should now be able to vacuum.

Keep it on filter setting for now, while you figure out the right valve setting for vacuuming.

You will need to adjust your valves to get the right amount of suction - its something you have to figure out as you go. Maybe have someone else adjusting the valves while you vacuum to see if the suction is too strong, not enough... try partially closing the bottom drain at first... I don't know that you need it all the way closed.

Hope this all makes sense...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.