Air sound In Hayward side mounted mulitvalve

Jul 23, 2012
I have a S240 sand filter with a side mounted multivalve on an in ground pool. I dont know if it is normal or not, but it seemsand sounds like there is air going thru the multivalve only. The skimmer of front side of pump is clear with no bubbles. I get the same sound whether it is on recirculate or filter. I see no water leaks and no bubbles coming out of jets or in SWG? Please chime in with help/advise and thanks in advance!!!!

Carl

I get water as soon as it opens. I have a 6mb 2or3 second recording of sound but cant attach due to file size limitation. If you take your hand and place on the pipes that go to/from tank to multivalve the bottom is the only one that you can FEEL the "noise" in. I believe that is the line that returns water to the pool.

I noticed I had a small drip of water in between the tank halves, so I took top halve off the sand filter this weekend. While I did that I cleaned o-ring and sand good before placing back together. Leak stopped!! Noise still there. I did notice that my sand level looks to be low???? I was able to take apart tank without losing any sand. The sand level is about 3 inches below where the tank comes apart and does not cover the top pipe from the multivalve. Its says it requires 300lbs of sand? If sand is low could it be channeling the sand and sucking air somehow?

If you are not seeing any air anywhere, there no air is being sucked in (and the filter is on the pressure side, so that would be quite rare anyway).

Sounds to me that the sand is low. Found this in the S200 manual: "Sand surface should be leveled and should come to about the center of the flange of the filter tank."

Not sure that would cause noise though.

When my multivalve was making a loud crackling noise it was because of an air leak in the suction line, but I had obvious air in pump basket, filter and coming out of return lines. Fixed the underground leak and now the multivalve is quiet again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.