Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring for IntelliChlor & pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring for IntelliChlor & pump

Is the IntelliChlor supposed to be wired directly to the pump? We had an electrician install the wiring for our new above ground pool last week. He added a cord to the Intellichlor system so that it plugs into the outlet separately from the pump (photo attached). After reading the manual to get everything started with our pool, we found information stating "The power supply must be interconnected with pool pump motor power source. This insures IntelliChlor chlorinator and pool pump will switch on and off together." Do I need to get the electrician back out here? I gave him the manual when he was out here the first time, but apparently he paid no attention to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wiring for IntelliChlor & pump

Mine is wired off one leg of the pump, yes. My pump is controlled by a low voltage relay (220V) and on one of the two legs the Intellichlor is connected.

Looking at your setup it looks like the pump and the IC are in the SAME outlet? If so, that should be OK (a 110V pump I guess?) assuming both sides of the outlet are switched together then both pump and IC are always switched together, right?
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

3. Back To Top    #3

The pump and IC are not automatically switched on together. They are plugged into two separate outlets. In order to run the pump by itself, I have to unplug the IC.
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by afreil
    The pump and IC are not automatically switched on together. They are plugged into two separate outlets. In order to run the pump by itself, I have to unplug the IC.
    and in order to run the IC by itself you need to unplug the pump? When you switch off the pump breaker does the IC go off too?
    It's surely possible that the two separate outlets are hard wired together, so the IC and pump are - in fact "together".

I suppose the risk here is that the pump gets unplugged and the IC doesn't and the switch is on... that would be bad. I'm at the end of my knowledge here and will bow out what's OK in terms of using plugs in this way. I know it provides a means of disconnect near the appliance which is handy, but in this case you end up with separate means of disconnect for the two items that are supposed to be together...
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

5. Back To Top    #5

I just went through this installation process today. After speaking with Pentair, they confirmed that the two should be wired together, which I said, "there's only one knockout on the pump." They told me to try to find a way to junction the two together. What we ultimately ended up doing is disconnecting the power and lock title from the pump, ran that to an outdoor weathertight junction box, and then made a run to the pump and to the power center from there. Now power is sent to both when the switch for the pump is turned on.

It was a bit of a pain, but I can ensure that the SWG is never on unless the pump is, since my memory is failing me more every day to remember to manually turn it off.

Good luck!
    18x36 IG vinyl, Sta-Rite S8D110 DE Filter, Intelliflo VS +SVRS, IC40 SWG, 2 skimmers & 1 main, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2" at pad, Aquabot Turbo T

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info.
    Since I am almost totally "electrically ignorant", could you try to explain what a "knockout" on the pump is and what is a "lock title"? I'd like to have both the pump and ic40 wired to a timer.
    I plan to get the electrician back out here to make these changes but I'd like to educated myself enough to be able to make sure he does what needs to be done this time.

7. Back To Top    #7

What is normally done is to power both outlets from the output of the timer, or just hardwire the whole thing. The exact details depend on what kind of timer you have, which I can't really see in the picture.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    What is normally done is to power both outlets from the output of the timer, or just hardwire the whole thing. The exact details depend on what kind of timer you have, which I can't really see in the picture.
    That was my guess too - that in fact, both sides of a duplex receptacle run from a common timer switch or that the SWCG is off one leg of a 220V plug and switched together by definition. Without a picture of where it plugs in it is hard to guess. I do think it is not bad to have a plug as means of disconnect? Or... just hardwire it all.

I'm not sure how that setup is non-compliant, but it seems the electrician will explain it or correct it.
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

9. Back To Top    #9

Feed the timer and take output of timer to duplex recept. Simple...Good thing about using the plug in is durning the off season its easy to disconnect. Also put some duct seal or silicone around the connector to the pump. You have alot of threads showing and looks rusty. If that connector broke off it will be a pain in the ***** to fix.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

What I did was to run the power from my timer to a on /off switch(,that is handy to shut down power when backwashing or when I am cleaning the pool and have to shut down to clean out skimmer basket),then the switch goes to both recepticals and both run at the same time.I most always run both together except when I add salt then I unplug the SWG ,I never unplug the pump.
    12,000 gal. 14x28 Inground vinyl liner (2004), 1 HP. Jacuzzi magnum pump,
    Raypak heater, Jacuzzi laser sand filter,Autopilot DIG-220 SWG, 35/22 cell,
    TF-100 test kit,K-1766 saltwater test kit, speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

There should be a gfi recept. All you have to do is hit the test button and trip it to shut off power unless its powered by a gfi breaker
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by ethany
    ...unless its powered by a gfi breaker
    in which case you can hit the button on the breaker to test it.
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

13. Back To Top    #13

Or pull the plug for that matter