CYA testing challenges.

Mar 24, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have little confidence in my CYA testing. I have the Taylor k-2006 kit but I also just bought the 50 ppm standard solution from tftestkits. I would read the 50 ppm standard as 100 ppm and my pool water as 50ppm. The 50 ppm standard sample, when combined with the reagent produces a much cloudier solution than my pool water when combined with the reagent.

Keep practicing with that standard!

For me, I have to stand on the patio in full daylight, but turned so there's no sunlight reflecting off the surface of the test sample. I hold the view tube with thumb and forefinger only so I block as little light as possible. I keep the tube down about my belly button. When all those conditions are met, I consistently get 50 with the standard solution. Which means if I do exactly the same thing with a sample of my pool water, my test results will be good.

Take a reading, pour the sample back in the mixing bottle, give it a shake, and try again. Eventually you'll find the right combination for you. I find bright light, and lots of it reflecting off the white concrete, is the key for me.

The CYA test is probably the toughest test to get a feel for. As Richard said, ambient light is the key. Best to read on a sunny day while you are in the shade. That way, the light comes in from the sides. This is what you want. Also, consider testing your CYA at the same time each day. Even with good reading conditions, your accuracy is +/- 10 ppm. The light that you get at 10:00 a.m. may give you a different result at say, 4:00 p.m.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.