Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA testing challenges.

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA testing challenges.

I have little confidence in my CYA testing. I have the Taylor k-2006 kit but I also just bought the 50 ppm standard solution from tftestkits. I would read the 50 ppm standard as 100 ppm and my pool water as 50ppm. The 50 ppm standard sample, when combined with the reagent produces a much cloudier solution than my pool water when combined with the reagent.
    19,500gal, Gunite, Pebbletec, Chlorine, PCC2000 cleaner, Stenner Chlorine Pump, MegaCatch Mosquito Trap

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: CYA testing challenges.

Keep practicing with that standard!

For me, I have to stand on the patio in full daylight, but turned so there's no sunlight reflecting off the surface of the test sample. I hold the view tube with thumb and forefinger only so I block as little light as possible. I keep the tube down about my belly button. When all those conditions are met, I consistently get 50 with the standard solution. Which means if I do exactly the same thing with a sample of my pool water, my test results will be good.

Take a reading, pour the sample back in the mixing bottle, give it a shake, and try again. Eventually you'll find the right combination for you. I find bright light, and lots of it reflecting off the white concrete, is the key for me.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Re: CYA testing challenges.

The CYA test is probably the toughest test to get a feel for. As Richard said, ambient light is the key. Best to read on a sunny day while you are in the shade. That way, the light comes in from the sides. This is what you want. Also, consider testing your CYA at the same time each day. Even with good reading conditions, your accuracy is +/- 10 ppm. The light that you get at 10:00 a.m. may give you a different result at say, 4:00 p.m.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT