Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to clean my new green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to clean my new green pool

I'm in a similar situation pool wise, but don't know if I should start a new thread or continue my question here?
    Always start your own thread. It prevents hijacking Butterfly
    First, I'm new and ignorant to the ways of pools. I too have a high Cya number (Leslie's pool supply tested the water and it was 100+) so I assume continuing to try and shock or add chlorine at this point is meaningless. I stumbled onto TFS yesterday and I've learned a ton already...such as the Leslie's brand of DiChlor (which Ive added 12lbs in the last 4 days) just added more CYA.
    Yesterday's pool test from Leslie's was - FC 0, TAC 0.5, PH 7.0, TA 20, CH 180, CYA 100

It appears that few of you experts here trust pool store testing...all the same, CYA is thru the roof. I don't have a legit test kit yet....

My plan - to hook vacuum hose up and sweep while having filter set to waste, so I'm getting gunky water out instead of just water. I'm going to try and get 1/3 - 1/2 of the water drained, then begin to refill. Thoughts? Do's or dont's?

Thank you in advance
    18 x 30 IG vinyl "sports pool" 16k
    Hayward pump & sand filter. Polaris cleaner (older model) & booster pump.
    K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to clean my new green pool

You've done some reading and sounds like you have a pretty good understanding

If the CYA is indeed high, you do need to replace water to lower it.

Do yourself a favor and order one of the recommended test kits. The best bang for the buck is the TF100 - see link in my sig.

Once you get some water replaced, you should test again. If TA is really 20, you'll need to address that first. Also, pH should be in the low 7's.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

First, you're right, we don't trust store results, and CYA least of all. In case the message hasn't sunk in, you really need your own test kit. For super-high CYA, you might even need to do the dilution method. Don't be surprised if you end up having to do multiple partial drains.

Second, your plan to vacuum to waste is a good one. Lose the sludge and the CYA in one go. Move the vacuum slowly. If you can see to the bottom, move the vacuum at a snail's pace and sneak up on the debris. Let the vacuum suck it in ahead of itself so you don't just stir it up and make a cloudy mess.

This sticky thread and category.php?c=getting_started will be your guide.

A little inspiration: a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for the reply, input and wisdom.
    BF, I'll always start my own thread, thanks.

Ordering a test kit today, so hopefully within a week, I'll have my own results.

I'll post again after the great H2O evacuation.
    K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi and Welcome. Keep on eye on the TA. Hopefully with a fresh water dose that number will climb... its extremely low. Edit: Not a huge concern just low TA can cause the PH to fluctuate drastically - I don't want you to be alarmed while testing or shocking to see the numbers all over the place. Once you have your own kit you'll be able to take control of your pool
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, after draining between 35-50% and refilling, I'm back to within an hour of being able to continue. Should I go ahead and start the pump/filter? Should I test the water first? I just don't want to proceed and do something that will prolong this process.
    BTW, I'll have to use the pool store again as my test kit won't be here until Thursday.

Thanks again in advance.
    K-2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Additional update - Started pump, gave the water an hour to circulate, took a sample to pool store (Leslie's) and got these readings -

FC still 0
    PH. 7.0
    TA. 60
    CYA. 30!! Drain 1/2 the water and CYA drops 70%?? I'm guessing not...kit comes in on Wed.

So using pool calculator, I'm adding soda wash as directed. Tomorrow ill add the directed bleach.

See any major problems?
    K-2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I would actually only add half what is recommended in case the numbers are off or not enough time to fully circulate....You don't need to wait till tomorrow to add the recommended chlorine.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks FPM! Q. Would city water supply boost my TA from 20 to 60?
    K-2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Possibly, test the tap water and find out what the pH, TA, and CH levels are ... likely it is well above a TA of 20ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!