Question about adding chemicals

justknight

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
This is probably a stupid question and different people have told me different things...
Ok when I'm adding solid chemicals to the pool i have been mixing up the solids into a liquid and pouring in the deep end. I'm leaving my valve setting on filter to keep catching all of the organic material I have in my pool. Does my sand filter catch any of the chemicals and prevent it's release into the pool? I've also had other people/videos say to put chemicals directly into the skimmer but that makes me nervous especially if I have my filter setting on (if it's on recirculate it doesn't bother me.) If I've missed the answer to this somewhere I'm sorry.

My pool had lots of Algae (Green) when I opened it and I aggressively shocked and added stabilizer. I've been working with it all week and we have also had lots of rain. My pool has steadily been getting clearer the past 3 days since my filter has been on constantly. Still not crystal but is an aqua blue.

My last tests are here
PH Approximately 6.6 range. Couldn't get exact measurement since my Taylor FAS-DPD kit doesn't go lower than 7.0 (results appeared yellow). I had some test strips that indicate its in the 6.6 range.
TA= 70
FC= 11
CC= .5
CH=150 (not as this is important since it's vinyl) pool guy sold me some calcium chloride and didn't realize i didn't need it until later)
CYA=?? I think this is in the range of 30-50 from test strips but don't want to use regeants on this yet since i only have 4 tests with my kit.

Predissolving is good. If t gets caught in the filter, it will just dissolve in there, unless you backwash, in which case you'll lose some.

You'll need to do at least one CYA test now, so you'll know the target FC level for the shock process.

Maybe it's time to go reread Pool School?

My last tests are here
PH Approximately 6.6 range. Couldn't get exact measurement since my Taylor FAS-DPD kit doesn't go lower than 7.0 (results appeared yellow). I had some test strips that indicate its in the 6.6 range.
TA= 70.............

You need to get your pH up to the low 7's ASAP. Do this first.

BTW, we recommend the sock method for adding CYA.

Richard320 said:
Predissolving is good. If t gets caught in the filter, it will just dissolve in there, unless you backwash, in which case you'll lose some.

You'll need to do at least one CYA test now, so you'll know the target FC level for the shock process.

Maybe it's time to go reread Pool School?

I know when I started it was 0. I've added enough CYA to bring it to about 30. Plus I'm using a chlorinator tabs that have the stabilizer in them. I've read that the tabs can make CYA levels go up really high over time and I plan on monitoring that. I've read pool school.. I think I've came a really long way in just a few days. Yes I don't expect to know as much in the first week as some of you guys.

Butterfly said:
My last tests are here
TA= 70.............

You need to get your pH up to the low 7's ASAP. Do this first.

BTW, we recommend the sock method for adding CYA.

Thanks for the sock tip. I will do that for now on. I just added about 11 pounds of Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) to bring my TA up a little and heard that it can also bring PH up. I'm not sure exactly how much it will bring it up since pool calculator figures using Sodium Carbonate (Soda Ash). I wanted to let that get in there good before doing the Soda Ash.

Ok, another question. My latest test results are
PH 7.6
TA: 130
FC: 15
CC: .5 - 1.0 - near the lowside of this, i was doing the .5 test and it was very close to clear after 1 drop
CYA: last check 35

I added 3 boxes of Borax, 38 oz of shock to bring it up to these levels. What is bothering me now is the clarity of the water. It has a nice aqua marine look but it's a little cloudy still. I've been filtering since Mon April 29th. I've only backwashed once. Right after backwash with everything clear my baseline pressure is 19 p.s.i. I backwashed about 3 days ago and my pressure is only about 22 p.s.i. Does it normally take this long for sand to filter? Should I look into replacing sand, or am I just being too impatient in going from swamp to crystal clear water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Butterfly said:
Well, 36K gallons is a lot to filter! You do not need to replace your sand, but you might need to clean the filer if you have not done so in a while. Here's instructions:
my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

You might want to try adding DE.
Here's instructions: pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

If the filter is working properly, then the DE could help lots.

Thanks for all of your help. I put some super clarifier in it and it has helped a lot (don't hit me, I'm inpatient.) I can see the drain on the deep end now. Pool still isn't crystal but it's coming along. I have lots of pecan trees around my yard and they drop blooms like crazy so I know that isn't helping. Anyway thanks for all of your help guys!

Skip the clarifier until you are done with the OCLT<1, and CC<0.5 criteria in the shocking process, then if the only one you are not passing is the "water is crystal clear" criteria, then you can try clarifier. Before that, you are just wasting you money. Before trying clarifier, I would try the DE in you sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.