Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: why liquid chlorine opposed to the 3" tabs?

1. Back To Top    #1

why liquid chlorine opposed to the 3" tabs?

Just curious:

Cheaper long term? Less harmful effects from the "stuff" in the tabs, etc......
    Or even the granular stuff. Is there a link explain this anywhere?

Also thos on BBB method can or do you drip any way. Or do you use something like Penatir Inteelichem or hayward sense & dispense. Or is there a cheaper way to go about this?
    FWIW I already have the Pentair Easy touch unit so adding the intellichem is just the cost of the unit at this point.

I have always used tabs in past w/o issue....thru a chlorinator
    Now interested in the BBB method.

Thanks,
    18x37 Vinyl Grecian (24k gals) 8' Inter fab(la mesa) Diving board w/ waterfall & Led, Pentair Laminars & Intellibrite 5g

Star Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter, IntelliPro 3HP Variable Spd Pump, Max E Therm 400k BTU,
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 & actuators,...Now looking to BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: why liquid chlorine opposed to the 3" tabs?

Trichlor pucks, tabs, sticks, etc. all add both Chlorine and CYA, the Chlorine gets used up, but the CYA continues to build and eventually causes overstabilization of the active Chlorine which leads to algae outbreaks, etc. Those rare people that are using Trichlor and never have a problem tend to be those that have large amounts of water replacement (perhaps backwashing an undersized sand filter very often, lots of rain, etc.) and a short swim season.

This is all covered in more depth in the pool school link in the upper right of all pages here

Ike

p.s. I use a chemical metering pump to add liquid chlorine / bleach as a predetermined rate, when the pool is being used more actively I simply turn up the rate knob a bit, when I see the Chlorine level is getting to the high side of normal during regular testing I turn it down a bit. This may sound awkward, but it really only needs frequent (1 or 2 times per week) adjustment during the first few weeks and the last few weeks of the swim season, for the majority of the warm months I may need to tweak it once per month)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

nice. any links to the type of doser setup you have....

Kind of like my saltwater tank! I have peristillic pumps that dose ~ 300ml a day of Alkalinity and calcium to the tank, and I check weekly and then just manually add the extra needed.

I'd love to setup a simple way to automatically drip/add chlorine and then just manually add some extra as needed. Also where do you add the chlorine as I'd imagine you can't add it to the plumbing due to pressure?
    18x37 Vinyl Grecian (24k gals) 8' Inter fab(la mesa) Diving board w/ waterfall & Led, Pentair Laminars & Intellibrite 5g

Star Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter, IntelliPro 3HP Variable Spd Pump, Max E Therm 400k BTU,
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 & actuators,...Now looking to BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a great thread to read about chlorine injecting....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=29652

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

5. Back To Top    #5

I have always used tabs in past w/o issue....thru a chlorinator
    Now interested in the BBB method.
    Well, as Isaac mentioned, maybe you are one of the ones with the perfect storm to be able to use the tabs successfully.

As an aside, if you switch (from tabs which are acidic) you will not be monitoring to raise your TA and pH, but will be using Muriatic Acid to lower pH. Having the waterfall will also cause a pH rise.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

My liquid chlorine experience has been a very stable environment my ph never moves off 7.5 and my TA is always 90 and my water has always been borates as well, love the BBB
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

With all the problems with CYA buildup when using trichlor, i don't understand why they just dont make it stabilizer free. Is it marketing or does it not hold up.

Anthony
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by aiannar974
    With all the problems with CYA buildup when using trichlor, i don't understand why they just dont make it stabilizer free. Is it marketing or does it not hold up.

Anthony
    It doesn't hold up. The chemistry doesn't work. If someone can invent a chlorine tab that doesn't contain calcium or CYA, they'll be a multimillionaire from the users of this board alone.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry