Zeo sand mixed with pool sand in filter?

mariane

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have zeosand in our sand filter at present and need to add more media. I was wondering if mixing pool sand in with zeo would be an option. Does anyone know how it might/would effect the filtering?
I have read many posts re: zeo, zeo vs. sand, and am wondering about switching to sand only for cost considerations. We have had no problems with filtering using the zeo, but we have never used sand, so we have nothing to compare it to. We have only had the difficulty of the zeo not backwashing out all of the particles, and occasionally light powder discharge from the zeo when new zeo is first added to the filter.

Thanks for any opinions.

Thanks Jason.
We seem to lose some media since we empty the filter at the end of each season. :hammer: Some gets spilled, some gets left in the bottom of the container/bags when stored wet over the winter, and I'm not sure if we still have the full required amount or if and how much short we might be.
I'm thinking I would only add part of a new bag of zeo or sand.

You are right adding sand to zeosand will only decrease the filtration rate given by zeosand. As for fine powder discharge from zeosand it sounds like when you are adding new that it is not being backwashed correctly before going to filtration. When you add zeosand you must make sure that you have water in your filter so zeosand is wet when added, then backwash until water is clear then if your system allows do a short (5-10 sec) rinse to clear lines then proceed to filtration.

Thanks tbh. I will make sure I do that next time. :goodjob:

duraleigh: We live in Michigan and have freezing temps most of the winter. The filter holds 150# of sand but using ZeoSand so I guess only 75# and unable to lift it when full. Even when draining the filter, we never seem to get all the water out and the zeo never seems to dry out if we leave it in the filter. We have a detached garage and no warm place to store the filter while full. :study: I have read we can damage the filter and pump if they freeze, so we store the empty filter and the zeo in the garage, and the pump in the basement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.