Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to protect the pump motor from water?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to protect the pump motor from water?

I'm replacing my Sta-Rite Dura-Glass motor. Like the old one, the new one has slots in the housing that I assume are to allow the heat to escape. However, the backwash line off my sand filter empties out right next to the pump. The old motor had a metal cover that did not really fit properly and I am wondering if water got into the pump and caused it to fail. (It made horrible sounds for months and then finally seized up) So, how do I protect the motor from water? Should I try to put some sort of partition between the motor and backwash area? Or should I extend the pipe underground and run it out somewhere else? I'm in Florida and there's bound to be lots of rain in the summer. So, I also want to protect the motor from that. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Jolene
    14,0000 gallon, rectangle, in-ground pool with Pebblesheen finish. 1 hp Sta-Rite Dura-Glas pump and TA60 Tagelus sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to protect the pump motor from water?

Welcome to tfp, Jolene

I would extend that pipe so that the backwash water does not get on the new motor.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, Jolene

I would extend that pipe so that the backwash water does not get on the new motor.

Any tips I should know before extending the pipe? I know at some point I read something about needing something if your backwash line was over 40 foot. But I have no idea where I read that info.
    14,0000 gallon, rectangle, in-ground pool with Pebblesheen finish. 1 hp Sta-Rite Dura-Glas pump and TA60 Tagelus sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

You might consider one of these. It says Pentair (which uses A.O. Smith/Century motors) but I'm sure you can get it onto most motors with a little creativity.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Rainbo.../dp/B0040RHM32

Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm with Linen - extend the backwash pipe so it exits well away from your pump (and drains to a lower elevation). If that is done , and your pump doesn't otherwise get flooded, you should be fine, even with it out in the weather without a "cover" on it. My pump sits out in the weather while it's pool season, and I take it off / put it away when the pool is closed.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

We actually have one of those covers like Durk suggested, but it doesn't fit properly. Even if it did, I'm not sure it could shield the pump from all the backwash spray... I'm definitely leaning toward extending the pipe, just need to figure out where to do so... To get to a lower elevation, it would have to be extended out quite far.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by iwant2save26
    We actually have one of those covers like Durk suggested, but it doesn't fit properly. Even if it did, I'm not sure it could shield the pump from all the backwash spray... I'm definitely leaning toward extending the pipe, just need to figure out where to do so... To get to a lower elevation, it would have to be extended out quite far.
    Have you considered one of those roll-up flexible waste hoses?

They come in rolls up to 200 ft. I only backwash once a year so it is not that much work. I need exactly 50 feet to get it to the other side of the driveway so it goes towards the neighbor I don't like instead of the one I do.

I suggested the cover more for the weather part of your question.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

Interesting. I'll check them out.