Too much rain!

Jul 7, 2012
We are first time pool owners (had it installed last year and swam in it once before we closed it). We just had the pool opened Monday and had great weather Monday through Thursday (too cold and dirty to swim yet of course). The water was just starting to really clear and look blue when it started pouring rain last night and hasn't stopped. The water levels are just above the skimmer holes. My husband knows how to drain the water, but he is on a 24 hour shift and won't be back until tomorrow morning at 7. I don't know how to do it yet and even with his phone direction, I'd rather not unroll 100 feet of hose in the pouring rain if I can help it.

Should we turn off the pump? I'm not sure what to do and I don't want to damage anything with an overfull pool. It is supposed to continue raining all night.

Help soon!? Thank you!

Other experts can chime in but I can't think of a problem if it overflows being inground. You just won't be "skimming" the water once it gets past the skimmer opening. No harm in shutting off the pump provided your chlorine levels are good as you shouldn't lose any overnight unless you've got problems.

You'll just have to re-test and adjust as the water got diluted.

-edit-
The only thing I can think of is water getting behind the liner. But wait for a real expert to chime in

I can't think of an issue you will encounter by an overflowing pool, other than water parameters being affected. Where does your husband run the 100' hose to? Possibly you could skip the hose and just turn your valve to to waste and let the water pump out at the equiptment pad, but only turn the valve with pump off.

I'm sure you'll be just fine until he returns. He'd have told you I'd think if there was something more to do.

If it overflows, as long as it isn't running into your home, damaging things, or affecting others, I wouldn't worry.

I run my Variable speed pump 24/7, most of which on a low speed other than 2x a day for an hour or two, the low speed takes less than a lightbulb to run. It's programmed to do so, has been since it was installed.

Best regards!

Thank you all for the replies! I'm sure he'll drain it as soon as he gets home in the morning. I guess I'll go ahead and turn the pump off til morning.

We are still waiting for our test kit to come, so at this point the only thing we've done is put the salt in. I'm sure we'll need to replenish as you suggested due to all the rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.