1st pool opening..not expecting so clean and cya question

May 6, 2012
Endicott NY
Hello everyone,

Just opened my pool yesterday and was very surprised it looked as good or better than the day I closed it. This is the first time opening a pool and was expecting a mess. All my neighbors pools are green.. Mine crystal clear and the numbers don't look too bad.

I tested everything but can't heck the cya, I out of reagent and ordered it last night. My question is can I add anything before getting the cya reading? I will not get it till about Monday (today Friday)

Here is my numbers.

I have not added anything.

FC 1.5
Cc. 0.5
Ta. 110
Ch. 160
Ph. 7.2
Cya. Waiting for reagent

Temp about 65 deg.

Advice?

Re: 1st pool opening..not expecting so clean and cya questio

You would be safe to keep the FC around 3-5ppm until you can check the CYA.

What was the CYA when you closed? It certainly will not be higher than that ;)

Might want to go through the shock process to have a nice clean start ... should only take 1-2 days if the water is as clean as it sounds.

Thanks, I will go through the shock process first. Water is crystal clear...probably read the date on a penny on the bottom of the pool is so clear.. Well you get the picture.

I have to admit...I have never shocked it, all last year it was clear and the numbers were good..cc always under .5 so I left it alone.

I don't remember the cya at closing, but it was always well with in range even slightly on the high side.

Thanks

Going to read up on the process.

Geo

Thank you,

Well never had the pool store test my water, but wanted to know the cya so I had it tested. The data I got from them was a little off from mine. Water sample was taken just a little after my readings

Here is the pool place readings
Pool store.
Cya 38.
Tot chl 0.5.
Free chl 0.5.
Ph 7.8.
Tot alk 91.
Tot hard. 126.

Why such the difference, I analyze chemicals for a living, and know mine were done correctly. What set to believe? I'm going to use the cya reading from the store.

Also, I just bought my first solar cover, i bought a 21 foot for my 21 round and it is much bigger than the pool. Is this normal?

Geo

Attachments

• solar cover.jpg
    solar cover.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 34
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.