Aerating pH rise using return jets

Mar 18, 2012
Lewisville, Texas
Is there anything I can do besides just testing after some random amount of time to figure out how fast the pH rise from aeration is in my pool? I guess that isn't that hard just wondering. I have four returns pointed straight up to Aerate because my balance is good except for my pH at a bit below 7.2

Leslie's said it was 7.6 yesterday, but I'm thinking that was only temporarily because of the rain. My test strips are reading at a bit below 7.2. I know they aren't known to be super reliable, but I think they are working fine.

Assuming I'm correct and the Leslie's test is wrong and I need to raise it to 7.8 I'm wondering how to determine how much Aeration I need. How fast is the effect? Should I use just one return or is using all four fine for doing it faster. I suppose it depends on how quickly it works.

They told me at Leslie's that it could be high just because of the rain water so I'm thinking the actual pH wasn't increased that much by the rain. We didn't get that much.

Anyway next time I'll make sure to not get a sample tested while its raining...I don't know why I didn't think of that before. My TA at 90 might have been from the rain too and it might actually be higher, but I think its at a decent level. Pretty sure at this point I just want to raise the pH to 7.8 or so since at the moment I'm trying to work through some Trichlor as I would rather not waste them. After I finish using them I think I'll switch to Bleach.

At the moment I think I just need to raise the pH since the Trichlor is going to push it down.

7.2 is fine for pH. Why worry about it? :?:

What about the rest of the test results? If you have super high TA, pH will climb in a hurry. On the other hand, if you have super high CH, you'll want pH on the low end of safe to prevent scaling, so aerating to raise pH is not such a good idea. What is your CYA level? If it's already high, you shouldn't be using trichlor pucks.

:study:

Why is 7.2 too low? Just let it slowly rise on its own. And why do you want it all the way up at 7.8? ... oh because of the pucks.

What is your CYA? Do you have the wiggle room to add more with the tablets? The pucks will last for years in storage. Use them when you need them for vacations or something.

Richard320 said:
7.2 is fine for pH. Why worry about it? :?:

What about the rest of the test results? If you have super high TA, pH will climb in a hurry. On the other hand, if you have super high CH, you'll want pH on the low end of safe to prevent scaling, so aerating to raise pH is not such a good idea. What is your CYA level? If it's already high, you shouldn't be using trichlor pucks.

:study:

The last reliable TA test I had was 110 which is a bit high, but the Trichlor will lower that right? The CH is on the lower end at the moment. The CYA is at 25 and I have a leak so the Trichlor is not such a bad thing. Everything else is good.

The way I see it because of my leak that isn't getting fixed soon my CYA is going to go down naturally due to water loss. The Trichlor should help keep my CYA stable and it'll lower the pH so that's why I'm raising it closer to the top of the range. I guess the rates at which the CYA goes down with the leak may not be as much as I get from the pucks.

So beyond the advisability of the using Trichlor at all and whether I really need to raise my pH...anyone have any answers on if I should use all four return jets for aeration and how fast it'll work? I'm gonna go check it now...I have no clue how long it takes so I guess testing is probably the easiest way to figure this out.

The main reason I want to raise pH is because the last set of numbers I used in the pool calculator told me that the CSI was suggestive of damage to my plaster. With a higher pH it said balanced.

Well it says potential to be corrosive, but since my pH is probably going to trend downward with the pucks I don't want it at the bottom of the range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.