Challenger 2hp - AO B855 single - upgrade to 2green?

karmabiker

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 28, 2013
Denver, CO
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Gents,
Looking at upgrading an existing singlespeed HOG to a 2 speed or a variable speed. The wet side of the pump looks to be in good repair.

By the numbers:
Existing 2HP challenger / B855 AO Smith motor
~16K pool
6 jet spa
disconnected rock weepers (may hook back up)
booster pump to run the polaris 280

Looking at the B2983T and the B2984T. Are there any other that should be in contention? DO I need to do an impeller swap to use the B2983T (thinking it is enough juice)?

As always - thank you in advance for all of the great advice.

Chris

Your current motor has a sfhp of 2.2. The 2983 has a sfhp of 1.875 and the 2984 has a sfhp of 2.5 so the 2983 is a bit too small for the impeller you have. I'd either replace the impeller with the 2983 or go for the 2984.

Bama - much appreciated.

Another thought would be the ECM27SQU at $675 to get into the world of VS motors instead of the B2984T at $546.

is it worth the extra $130 to get that level of control?

jblizzle said:
Those are some spendy motors ... do you not already have a timer? Do you need the speed to switch automatically and not just manually?

I have single speed timers. From what I understand I would need to replace the timers to be able to spin the pump to high mode.

TOTALLY open to other better ways to do this. The timer setup is the old school yellow dial intermatic. Ideas???? :) :cheers:

In Houston your electric rates are pretty low so I wouldn't go the VS route. Besides, you'd still need a way to control it.

depending on the timer your have you could add a 2-speed timer to it, but then you'd be about the cost of the 2984 or maybe even more.

Question stands: Why do you think you need to have the speed change automatically? What is your "vision"?

I just have a switch (came on the pump) to select the speed currently and use dial Intermatic. You could just run on low normally and only switch to high when you wanted to use the spa, or vacuum, or backwash.

jblizzle said:
Question stands: Why do you think you need to have the speed change automatically? What is your "vision"?

I just have a switch (came on the pump) to select the speed currently and use dial Intermatic. You could just run on low normally and only switch to high when you wanted to use the spa, or vacuum, or backwash.

I have no "vision" for the automation. As far as I am concerned It can run on low off the intermatic and when it is time to hop in the spa I can go flip the switch. The Polaris is on a booster so there isn't any need for more HP there.

Would love to know more about the switch on the pump version. All of the pumps I have seen require external switching / timers.

Just found the B2984T for $429 and the non timer version for $15 less - should I be looking for cheaper pumps? In the hunt? Good / bad / indifferent on these?

When you buy the Superflo pump, they come with a switch installed. But, most all motors by themselves do not.

I have seen that you can now find replacement end caps for the motors with a switch on them for around $30. Like these:
615332-two-speed-end-cap-switch.jpg

Or you could just wire in a SPDT toggle switch in a box near the timer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Chris,

I talked with them yesterday. Seemed decent on the phone, not rushed. My pool is not small about 37000g rectangle liner. I'm new to pools (although it is coming up on 3 years now). Previous owner installed pool about 8 - 10 years ago and I have used the same pool service since I moved in, but am getting brave enough to take it over soon.

My current issue is a bad motor on a hayward super pump. 1.5 hp , 1.1 SF. Pulls about 8.3 amps while running. I am trying to decide on replacements. I like the builtin features of the "V Green" VS pump. I'm adding a polaris 280 and I need freeze protection in the winter (Atlanta). The 2green doesn't seem to have those so for about 300$ more there are the additional controls plus VS verses 2 speed..... Lots of choices out there...

bil

Bill.
Freeze concerns in Houston as well. FWIW I usually just set the pump to run overnight if it looks like a hard freeze. With the 2 speed I suspect I'll just go with a winter schedule that has the pool running when there is a freeze risk.

And here I go overthinking things again.

What if I went with a regular non timed 2 speed pump (2Hp for the spa and whatever on the low side) then added a switch in an indoor outdoor box that allowed me to switch between the high and low leg of of the pump. Continue using the Intermatic 104...

//note - revisiting this because of the location of the pump and the pain in the butt that would be turning the spa on and off via the timer on the motor. (Double Pole 30A switch - R62-03032-2WS - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-30-A ... YvT6LWG1nE)

Other pump suggestions in the configuration - am I off my rocker (haha .. rocker ... switch ... hmmm... not really THAT funny ... more coffee)?

Thanks again guys!

You can use an external switch to select the speed with your existing timer. But ... you do not need a 240V double pole switch to do that. The speed selection switch just needs to be a SPDT switch on one of the hot legs.

Out of the timer you would run 1 of the LINE wires to the pump common terminal and the other LINE wire would go to your switch. Then from the switch you would need 2 wires running to the pump to be connected to the Low and High Speed terminals.

I think you are correct that a regular 3-way switch should work (I have not seem confirmation that this is to "code" though, but not sure why it would not be).

See Bama's first post ... if you just want a motor ... just remove the T from the end of the motors that were discussed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.