Opinions on Pool Quote

Apr 30, 2013
Hi everyone!

This is my first post. We are planning a 18X36 in ground pool installed. We are doing a standard rectangle with an auto cover, slide and diving board. We live in the Chicago suburbs. We've gotten 3 estimates and we like this one is particular. I was hoping that someone would take a peek at it and see if everything looks in line. I'm not sure what additional clarification would be needed after looking at the quote so please just ask. I took a picture of the 2 page quote because I figured it would be the easiest.

Thank you!

I'm not sure what the 100' of flex hose is for but if it's plumbing it's not nearly big enough.
The other thing that jumps out at me is the filter size. I'd want at least the TA80D and the TA100D would be better. That 60 is too small for that pool.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Any idea about the depth profile or the volume? I think that filter might be a little on the small side ... although you will have a short season, so that may be ok.

I would seriously consider a 2-speed pump. Does the slide run off the same pump? Is so you may need the 1.5 HP (SF-N2-1-1/2A) But if not, then just a 1HP 2-speed Superflo (SF-N2-1A) would be plenty big. Save a lot of electricity by running on low speed most of the time and switch to high only when needed ... slide, vacuum, backwash, etc.

Make sure the skimmer and floor drains are run separately to the pump.

Might consider 2 lights if you are going with color LEDS

Order one of the recommended test kits as the one that is included is likely lacking.

Bama Rambler said:
I'm not sure what the 100' of flex hose is for but if it's plumbing it's not nearly big enough.
The other thing that jumps out at me is the filter size. I'd want at least the TA80D and the TA100D would be better. That 60 is too small for that pool.

What's the downside if the flex hose isn't long enough?
On the Tagelus sand filter brochure, I only see the TA60D then the TA100D. What becomes the issue if we go with the TA60D?

Thanks so much for your reply. The pool guy is coming out again tonight (Friday) or tomorrow (Saturday) and I want to be prepared.

With the smaller filter you have to clean it more often and may have reduced flow rates (although your pump is not TOO big).

I think the concern (I had the same thought) is the diameter. What is the 1" 100' of flex pipe for???
1" is much smaller than typical pool plumbing. Usually 2" on the suction side and 1.5" on the return side using rigid pipe is more common.
But, maybe that 1" is for something else?

EDIT: Oh, you know I bet the 1" flex pipe is for the slide, which is likely fine.

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Any idea about the depth profile or the volume? I think that filter might be a little on the small side ... although you will have a short season, so that may be ok.

I would seriously consider a 2-speed pump. Does the slide run off the same pump? Is so you may need the 1.5 HP (SF-N2-1-1/2A) But if not, then just a 1HP 2-speed Superflo (SF-N2-1A) would be plenty big. Save a lot of electricity by running on low speed most of the time and switch to high only when needed ... slide, vacuum, backwash, etc.

Make sure the skimmer and floor drains are run separately to the pump.

Might consider 2 lights if you are going with color LEDS

Order one of the recommended test kits as the one that is included is likely lacking.

Thanks for the welcome!

The deep end will be 8ft, other than that I didn't take any notes on the volume.
I believe the slide runs off the same pump. We had 2 choices of pumps the 1.5 Superflo ($575) or the Intelliflo variable speed ($1600). We went with the cheaper...only because it was cheaper. He told us about the Flow vs Power but it sounds like we should pay the extra $$ for the Intelliflo?
We were going to have one colored LED in the deep end. Another pool guy suggested 2 on the long side of the pool. I'll take your advice into consideration.
I plan on buying the best kit that is recommended in the pool school section. My degree is in Biology and working with a cool kit will bring me back to the good old laboratory days. :wink:

Thanks again!

I would not pay that much more for the VS Intelliflo (unless you have very high electrical costs) ... ask about a 1.5HP 2-speed Superflo ... your EasyTouch should actually be able to control the speed as well.

For reference, on low speed the pump move 1/2 the water for 1/4 the electricity. So, even running on low for twice as long as the single speed, you save 50% on electricity. The VS would allow you go even lower to save a little more on electricity, but depending on your electrical costs, you may never break even over the 2-speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.