Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Questions for Post Shock pool use

1. Back To Top    #1

Questions for Post Shock pool use

Hi all,
    2 questions at the bottom, but first setting the scene!

my 3rd season using BBB and I have a TF100 to glorious results
    Just opened the Pool Wednesday! read a FC 5.5, CC of 1.0 PH 7.2 TA 90 CH 230 CYA 30 so I shocked (30 CYA, so went to 12 on the pool school chart)

lost no Chlorine overnight and CC was 0.0 Come home from Work Thursday the FC was 8.0 CC 1.5
    which surprised me! water is looking nice, not cloudy etc...

so brought it up again last night to 12.0 and CC went to 0
    woke up the FC was 11 and CC was 0.5 so I add another 1/4 of the 182 oz bottle to take it over 12 while I was gone to work.

I had passed an OCLT and thought I would be in the clear since the water looked about as good as it always does
    My wife is watching this afternoon and she did a reading 11 and topped off again

CYA is subjective but I am reasonably sure It is not higher (or higher by more than a few points) than the 30 I read

If I have a good OCLT Saturday morning at what point do you let the kids in the pool given the FC level? does it need to come down first?

Thanks
    Dan
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Questions for Post Shock pool use

It is safe to swim when the FC > minimum and < shock value for your CYA.

In reality, it is "safe" even if FC > shock value within reason and your water is already clear and you have basically no CC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Anything up to the shock level is essentially safe to swim in. Given your CYA you didn't really have to chlorinate all that much.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks both for writing in,

Good to know if we pass the OCLT tomorrow morning we can use it.... water just hit 84 and rising in sunny cleveland! opened Wednesday to 58 Degrees!
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator