Liquid Sand Filter Cleaner instead of garden hose cleaning?

Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I know the below is the instructions for cleaning your sand filter and is the recommended way over buying one of those expensive cleaning solutions from a pool store, but here's my situation. My equipment is in a Cabana, flushing out the filter would be horrible inside there, the water and dirt would have no where to go except around the entire floor, I'm sure I'm not alone in that situation.

As an alternative, could I use the liquid sand filter? would it be as affective?

"I suggest once a year opening up the filter to expose the sand, stick a garden hose in it, and turn on the water.
The sand will start to move and float and a lot of gunk will overflow out of the filter. This will also help get rid of any channeling. If any of the sand is clumped together CAREFULLY break it up with something like a broom handle (but be VERY CAREFUL not to damage the laterals!) Flush out the filter until the water overflowing is basically clean. If you do this yearly you should not have to worry about using an (expensive) filter cleaner! If you find that your sand has clumped up because of scale deposits then using an acidic sand filter cleaner every 3-4 months can be helpful."

Re: Liquid Sand Filter Cleaner instead of garden hose cleani

Hmmm...

I'm not a big fan of any miracle cleaners. You could try draining the filter via the backwash line, then just loosen things up and reassemble and try another backwash. Or build a sandbag dyke around the filter and set a sump pump in there to move the dirty water.

Is there a problem with the filtering?

Richard320 said:
Hmmm...

I'm not a big fan of any miracle cleaners. You could try draining the filter via the backwash line, then just loosen things up and reassemble and try another backwash. Or build a sandbag dyke around the filter and set a sump pump in there to move the dirty water.

Is there a problem with the filtering?

No problem that I'm aware of, I just wanted to start doing better maintenance on the filter to make sure it was working as efficiently as it could be, and I saw the yearly meaintenance instructons on opening it up and soaking it so all the gunk would wash out and resolving and channeling issues, I wanted to see if I could do that too with a liquid cleaner.

The sand filter cleaning solutions are designed to solve a specific problem that almost no one has, a filter saturated with suntan lotion. They do not do anything related to what the rinsing the sand procedure we recommend does.

We ran sand filters from 1946 to 2003 without any idea that sand should be changed, cleaned or rinsed. (1946 single 4' cast iron replaced in 1961 by dual 3' cast iron replaced in 1976 by single 3' stainless steel). The sand cleaned just fine with zero attention other than backwashing. Inspection covers were never even opened. We only swapped them out because the cast iron rusted out every fifteen years and then the pool was demolished in 2003.

I humbly suggest you just use it until you have a problem and try to keep suntan lotion out of the pool. Why kill yourself cleaning something that isn't there yet?

It is painless enough to open the lid and see what your sand bed looks like. If there is a bunch of solids on the top of the bed, they are easily scooped out by hand and you could seal it back up and it would be just fine. I'm pretty much with durk in that I don't think they really ever need attention but I open mine yearly and take out a bit of stuff off the top.

It is painless enough to open the lid and see what your sand bed looks like . . . I don't think they really ever need attention but I open mine yearly and take out a bit of stuff off the top.

Works for ME!:handshake:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.