Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Sand Filter Cleaner instead of garden hose cleaning?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Sand Filter Cleaner instead of garden hose cleaning?

I know the below is the instructions for cleaning your sand filter and is the recommended way over buying one of those expensive cleaning solutions from a pool store, but here's my situation. My equipment is in a Cabana, flushing out the filter would be horrible inside there, the water and dirt would have no where to go except around the entire floor, I'm sure I'm not alone in that situation.

As an alternative, could I use the liquid sand filter? would it be as affective?

"I suggest once a year opening up the filter to expose the sand, stick a garden hose in it, and turn on the water.
    The sand will start to move and float and a lot of gunk will overflow out of the filter. This will also help get rid of any channeling. If any of the sand is clumped together CAREFULLY break it up with something like a broom handle (but be VERY CAREFUL not to damage the laterals!) Flush out the filter until the water overflowing is basically clean. If you do this yearly you should not have to worry about using an (expensive) filter cleaner! If you find that your sand has clumped up because of scale deposits then using an acidic sand filter cleaner every 3-4 months can be helpful."
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 2 speed 1HP Hayward pump SP2607X102S. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control, Pentair 7845xx02 light.
    TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Stirrer, Pool Chemist in training.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Sand Filter Cleaner instead of garden hose cleani

There's no floor drain inside the cabana?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    There's no floor drain inside the cabana?
    No drain, it was built before the pool by the first owners and was never intended for pool equipment.
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 2 speed 1HP Hayward pump SP2607X102S. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control, Pentair 7845xx02 light.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmmm...

I'm not a big fan of any miracle cleaners. You could try draining the filter via the backwash line, then just loosen things up and reassemble and try another backwash. Or build a sandbag dyke around the filter and set a sump pump in there to move the dirty water.

Is there a problem with the filtering?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Hmmm...

I'm not a big fan of any miracle cleaners. You could try draining the filter via the backwash line, then just loosen things up and reassemble and try another backwash. Or build a sandbag dyke around the filter and set a sump pump in there to move the dirty water.

Is there a problem with the filtering?
    No problem that I'm aware of, I just wanted to start doing better maintenance on the filter to make sure it was working as efficiently as it could be, and I saw the yearly meaintenance instructons on opening it up and soaking it so all the gunk would wash out and resolving and channeling issues, I wanted to see if I could do that too with a liquid cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

The sand filter cleaning solutions are designed to solve a specific problem that almost no one has, a filter saturated with suntan lotion. They do not do anything related to what the rinsing the sand procedure we recommend does.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

We ran sand filters from 1946 to 2003 without any idea that sand should be changed, cleaned or rinsed. (1946 single 4' cast iron replaced in 1961 by dual 3' cast iron replaced in 1976 by single 3' stainless steel). The sand cleaned just fine with zero attention other than backwashing. Inspection covers were never even opened. We only swapped them out because the cast iron rusted out every fifteen years and then the pool was demolished in 2003.

I humbly suggest you just use it until you have a problem and try to keep suntan lotion out of the pool. Why kill yourself cleaning something that isn't there yet?
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

It is painless enough to open the lid and see what your sand bed looks like. If there is a bunch of solids on the top of the bed, they are easily scooped out by hand and you could seal it back up and it would be just fine. I'm pretty much with durk in that I don't think they really ever need attention but I open mine yearly and take out a bit of stuff off the top.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    It is painless enough to open the lid and see what your sand bed looks like . . . I don't think they really ever need attention but I open mine yearly and take out a bit of stuff off the top.
    Works for ME!
    14,400 GALLONS -- INGROUND 40'X12' GUNITE LAP POOL BUILT 1994 -- EP-4 ECOPUMP VARIABLE SPEED -- TRITON II TR60 SAND FILTER 63 GPM
    PoolMath