Rough Plaster- Now with pictures!

MikeS

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2007
Burtonsville, MD
I opened my spa and pool for the 1st time this month. I started the BBB method last year. I drained the spa for winter, but the cover leaked and it filled 3/4 up over the winter/spring seasons. It filled up to, but not over the top step (this is relevant later). I chlorine shocked it clear (using way to much chlorine, I used a 1lb bag in an 1100 gal spa). I used a test strip before shocking (yes, I am a sinner) and the PH was way over 8. I used muriatic acid to bring it down to 6.8 before I shocked it.

The problem is the plastic (3M colorquartz) feels like 40 grit sandpaper (no discoloration). It is rough up to the top step- so I am guessing it occured over the winter with the high PH. How do I fix this????

Current test (using a Taylor K-2006-.......... I have repented)
Water temp 98 degrees, outside air temp 68 degree (wife was enjoying the spa while I was testing)
FC- 7.4
CC- 0
CYA- 65
PH- 7.8 (I did add some sodium carbonate to bring the PH up a little last week- I just added 2.5 oz of Muriatic to bring it down)
TA- 70
CH- 170

I stepped into my 57 degree pool down three steps and they are not rough(I do not drain the pool over the winter)- I have not gone all the way in the pool yet as it is just now clearing and coming down from it opening week of shock. It's reading are:

FC 11.4
CC- .5
CYA- 100
PH- 7.0
TA- 80
CH- 140

I am located in Maryland.

So- help.... how do I get my spa plaster smooth again??

Thank you

MIke S.

Your pool's calcium saturation index is quite low and that could be causing problems. Given how low TA and CH are, high PH in the spa might not be a problem right now. More likely the PH got low in the spa at some point and there was plaster damage.

It actually appears the roughness is caused by small round ?????? balls. Any ideas? Plaster? Calcium? I can scrape them off with a soapstone- but a wire brush does not dislodge them. They are on there pretty good.

53108008.jpg

53108010.jpg

53108009.jpg

I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

duraleigh said:
Is there a way to prevent further accurances?
control your pH. Scaling seldom occurs at pH below 7.6. Also keep your calcium level manageable. Have you posted that test result?

By calcium level I assume you mean calcium hardness? Here are my latest Taylor K-2006 test results:

Spa:
CH 170
PH 7.4
TA 110
CYA 50
FC 7.5
CC 0

Pool (where I really don't want to have a problemthat I have to scape...)
CH 80
PH 7.4
TA 70
CYA 70
FC 3.0 (need to add bleach)
CC 0

I believe the CYA in the pool is more accuate now that the water is clear.
Thanks

Your TA level in the spa is kind of high. Running the spa jets with TA up there is going to make the PH rise fairly rapidly. High PH is what causes the scaling, so it would be a good idea to get the TA level down to perhaps 70 and watch PH closely until then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.