Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Socks / Liners

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Socks / Liners

Hi all, Looking for opinions on using skimmer socks (liners) on our skimmer baskets. We have 2 dogs, a Golden Retriever and a Chocolate Lab who LOVE to swim. Have heard these help keep the filter clean (dog hair free), but wanted to make sure there are no drawbacks to using them. Also, how often do they need to be changed? Thanks!
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, and, of course, Margaritaville blender!

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Skimmer Socks / Liners

I've been stretching a queensized kneehigh stocking over my basket for a couple years now. They load up pretty good with dandelion fluff and whatever else blows in the pool, so dog hair should be no problem. I generally hold it upside down over the trash can when I pull it to vacuum and wipe the stuff off. When they start getting brittle and tearing, I just peel it off and let it drop in the can and put on a new one.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    West Chester, PA

Re: Skimmer Socks / Liners

I highly recommend them if you have dogs swimming in the pool, they really do a great job collecting the hair. I always have a few by the pool and when one is gunked up, I put a new one in and take the other in the house, pull the dog hair off, rinse it out and put it back out by the pool with the clean ones so I always have them ready to go. I think changing them out is going to be a matter of just eyeballing it as it totally depends on the amount of debris you are dealing with. I don't know of any drawbacks.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter