Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If money were no object...

1. Back To Top    #1

If money were no object...

If money were no object, what type of chemical testing equipment would you buy?

Obviously the TF100 is the most cost efficient and best value, but say you won the lottery and could get some high tech equipment, what would it be? I know you don't *need* to be able to read CYA with 0.001 precision on a digital readout, but hey if the money's burning a hole in your pocket, is it even possible?
    ~15k gal IG pebble pool/spa w/ water features, Goldline ProLogic + SWG, 2x Hayward Northstar pumps, Hayward Booster Pump, Hayward 60sqft DE filter, 400k BTU Hayward heater, Hayward Viio Turbo pool cleaner, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If money were no object...

The higher end Palintest electronic testers are quite good if you want to play with expensive toys, but they aren't really better than the drop tests in any meaningful way. That is to say that they have more precision on several of the tests, but the extra precision does not help you take better care of your pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The higher end Palintest electronic testers are quite good if you want to play with expensive toys, but they aren't really better than the drop tests in any meaningful way. That is to say that they have more precision on several of the tests, but the extra precision does not help you take better care of your pool.
    ^Bang on the money

Palintest Pooltest Professional 25
    Lovibond Poolcontrol 9in1

Are the benchmark devices, I own a Palintest 7100, lovely piece of kit, easy to use, just the price of the re-agents which is astronomical for genuine Palintest re-agents, Lovibond prices are far more comfortable (hindsight is great) It's a bit like printers though, most of the re-agents (especially the common tests) can be supplemented with compatible re-agents with little drop in accuracy.

They do have their uses, ease of use, considerably faster and considerably high accuracy, but for a residential owner the initial outlay is quite prohibitive.

Still need an FAS-DPD test kit though for measuring FC and TC above 10ppm (mine only does TC between 10-250ppm) so they are not all singing, all dancing replacements to your TF-100 test kit.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

4. Back To Top    #4

I would hire Chem Geek and purchase any equipment he wants! Pay him what ever he wants since money isnt an issue
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Be careful about paying me whatever I want. I'd likely skip town on extended vacation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"