Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pump

1. Back To Top    #1

new pump

I am replacing a Jacuzzi Magnum Force 2 speed pump and motor with a Whisperflo 2 seed pump and motor. The new wiring is my concern. The old pump had a wall mounted switch where up was high speed, middle was off and down position was low speed. The new pump has the 2 speed switch mounted on the motor. What would be the easiest and most sensible way to wire in this new pump?
    28k gal., in-ground, vinyl liner, 8-years old, with new WhisperFlo 1.5hp, 2-speed pump, sand filter, non-working SWG, chemical treating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pump

Welcome to tfp, Dino1287

I think you will be able to look at how the old pump is wired and do it the same way on the new pump. Are both pumps the same voltage?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

You can either just not use one of the wires from the wall switch with the pump switch selecting speeds.

Or disconnect the pump switch and use the wall switch for everything.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, Dino1287

I think you will be able to look at how the old pump is wired and do it the same way on the new pump. Are both pumps the same voltage?
    Yes, same voltage, hp, sf. The new pump has only 3 wire connections while i have 4 wires from the old pump.
    28k gal., in-ground, vinyl liner, 8-years old, with new WhisperFlo 1.5hp, 2-speed pump, sand filter, non-working SWG, chemical treating

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dino1287
    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, Dino1287

Yes, same voltage, hp, sf. The new pump has only 3 wire connections while i have 4 wires from the old pump.
    Open the switch box and pull the switch out, but don't disconnect the wires just yet. Odds are you will see three wires from the panel to the switch and four from the switch to the motor.

Probably the easiest thing is to match the colors and use wire nuts and buy a new solid cover for the switch box. Yank out the extra wire. Although that may not be up to the Electrical Code - I'm not an electrician.

The other option is to disconnect the conduit (hopefull it's flexible and long enough) from the switch box and move it directly to the new pump. Then lose the switch box and the conduit from it to the old pump.

Maybe you should post a few pictures, especially one showing the wall switch pulled open so we can see the wires.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

The reason you only have three wires from the new pump is that the speeds are controlled inside the back cover so you only need power(2) and ground(1) ran out of the cover. On the old pump you have a remote mounted speed switch so you needed L1, High, Low and ground; four wires total. I suggest that you just unhook the speed switch in the cover and use your existing wiring on the new pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone for your help. I discovered once i removed the back of the motor to connect the wires, there is a way to bypass the toggle switch installed on the back. I disconnected the toggle switch and wired this new pump exactly like my previous pump. Everything works great. I guess i should have looked at it more closely before i asked for help, but i had to make so many plumbing changes to the existing setup, i figured the motor would be a problem as well.
    New Whisperflo pump works great.
    Thanks again.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.