Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

  1. Back To Top    #1
    Guest

    New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    I am a first time pool owner, and just got K-2006 test kit today. Here are the results:
    FC: 5
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.6
    TA: 90
    CH: 450 ( ~ 500)
    CYA: 100 (maybe 110)

    Very high CYA, I guess because my pool service guy use several 3" Chlorine Tabs every week...

    Plaster pool. No SWG.

    So, does this mean that I have to replace 50% of the water?
    I have a hayward multiport value (SP740DE), filter-backwaste-booster-waste. Should I use the waste port to drain the water?
    Could someone give me any advice on how to replace the water? and roughly how long it will take for the who process, given that my pool is about 15k gal.
    Thank you so much in advance!

  2. Back To Top    #2
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    Welcome to tfp, snuzxj

    Yes, a partial drain/refill would be our first suggestion. The waste port is right for draining.

    Do you know your ground water level? If it is high, then be careful about draining too much at one time...the ground water can float your pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by snuzxj
    Could someone give me any advice on how to replace the paper?
    I don't understand this question..."replace the paper"?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Guest

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    Thank you, linen!
    My pool is in ground, but the ground level is higher than neighbors. But I don't know the exact ground water level...
    I really appreciate your pointing this out. Is there anything else I should pay attention when I drain/refill my pool?
    Sorry for the typo... Not "paper", should be "water"

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    Hopefully you have a valve to isolate the drain from the skimmers, because otherwise when the water level gets low, the skimmer will start sucking air and you will lose the prime and run your pump dry. That's not good for it. Think big $$.

    And from personal experience... if you buy a backwash hose to hook onto the waste port: when you unroll it to wherever the water is to drain, be sure there are no kinks or twists in it anywhere. It will ballon and pop before you can get back to the switch!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Guest

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    Thank you for your advice, Richard!

    I checked, there is 2 main drain on the floor, and there are separate cutoff values for main drain, skimmer, and cleaner (suction side). I will cut the skimmer and cleaner line off, and leave main drain on.

    As for the backwash hose, I almost headed off to pool store to buy one yesterday, but found that the waste (backwash) line to the multiport valve is "close-end", connecting somewhere underground (maybe sewer system). I guess, in this case, I don't have to worry about the waste water, is that right?

    Thank you again for your kind comments!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    It seems you are set up nicely with the main drain isolation and your waste line setup to the sewer.

    You might want to check the CYA with half tap water and half pool water to get a better idea of your CYA level. You want to multiply your result by 2. When the CYA test measures above 100, it could very well be much higher than 100 as the test is logarithmic.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Guest

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Hopefully you have a valve to isolate the drain from the skimmers, because otherwise when the water level gets low, the skimmer will start sucking air and you will lose the prime and run your pump dry. That's not good for it. Think big $$.

    And from personal experience... if you buy a backwash hose to hook onto the waste port: when you unroll it to wherever the water is to drain, be sure there are no kinks or twists in it anywhere. It will ballon and pop before you can get back to the switch!
    Another question:
    My pool looks perfect for now even with 100+ CYA (as the test result in OP)
    Should I still need to replace the water, or hold it until there is some problem?

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    Quote Originally Posted by snuzxj
    Another question:
    My pool looks perfect for now even with 100+ CYA (as the test result in OP)
    Should I still need to replace the water, or hold it until there is some problem?
    From my response in this thread about 2 weeks ago.
    When I took over my pool, I got somewhere between 220 and 240 on CYA, because the previous homeowner and his inept pool service used pucks exclusively. There were a few other deficiencies, but that's another topic. I was under water restrictions that year, so draining was not an option. I would have ended up with a hefty bill, and a water restrictor installed on my meter at my expense...

    It CAN be maintained with astronomical CYA, but it is not easy, nor would I recommend it. Just for starters, the pH test will always be iffy, because the FC level has to be kept so high. And the color block quick test for FC is useless. The only way to test FC is the FAS-DPD test every day.

    By watering my lawn with pool water then refilling, and capturing rainwater from the gutter downspouts I was finally able to get CYA down to 40ish in about a year. It's much easier to maintain with low CYA. I can eyeball the OTO test and know if I need to add bleach or not, the pH test is accurate, and I have enough breathing room on the CYA that I can use pucks when I leave town.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    Quote Originally Posted by snuzxj
    Another question:
    My pool looks perfect for now even with 100+ CYA (as the test result in OP)
    Should I still need to replace the water, or hold it until there is some problem?
    Doing it in one step rather than many steps is more water efficient. For example, if you needed to replace half the water you could drain the pool about halfway, then refill once. Or you could do a 10% drain, refill, then repeat.... but you will have to do this more than 5 times to replace 50% of the water for the second time you drain some water, some of it is the water you just added. It gets to be rather wasteful. Especially if you are also having to re-balance the pool water after each refill.

    You will want to get a test of the fill water, CH, TA, and possible metals. This will give you an idea of what to expect when you refill the pool. Don't bother testing CYA or pH or FC of fill water. CYA will be zero, and pH and FC will change after the water has been at normal pressure and exposed to sunlight.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

    Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Guest

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Doing it in one step rather than many steps is more water efficient. For example, if you needed to replace half the water you could drain the pool about halfway, then refill once. Or you could do a 10% drain, refill, then repeat.... but you will have to do this more than 5 times to replace 50% of the water for the second time you drain some water, some of it is the water you just added. It gets to be rather wasteful. Especially if you are also having to re-balance the pool water after each refill.

    You will want to get a test of the fill water, CH, TA, and possible metals. This will give you an idea of what to expect when you refill the pool. Don't bother testing CYA or pH or FC of fill water. CYA will be zero, and pH and FC will change after the water has been at normal pressure and exposed to sunlight.
    I also prefer to doing one time water refill. Although Richard's method will eventually reduce the CYA, it takes too long and too many efforts. I was in hope that CYA would be reduced by itself, which seems impossible...

    I appreciated you mentioned to test the tap water, it definitely will give me an estimation of what the water would be after I refill the pool.

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Guest

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    From my response in this thread about 2 weeks ago.
    Thank you for the pointer.
    I have read a lot of your replies in TFP
    But your way seems too hard for a first time pool owner like me...

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: New pool owner first water test, need some advice

    Quote Originally Posted by snuzxj
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    From my response in this thread about 2 weeks ago.
    Thank you for the pointer.
    I have read a lot of your replies in TFP
    But your way seems too hard for a first time pool owner like me...
    That's why I don't recommend it. But I didn't have much choice that year.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •