Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Always test water with pump running!

1. Back To Top    #1

Always test water with pump running!

I wasn't thinking and tested my FC about 15 minutes after my pump shut off. Got a "1" reading and I panicked, it'd been so good all week. So I turned on the pump and rechecked in 30 minutes, was "6", just what it should be. I was really surprised chlorine settles to bottom that fast. Another lesson learned
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Always test water with pump running!

Or maybe the sun "eats" the stuff at the top first? I guess I should start my pump when I test, I usually test when I get home from work and the pump only runs at night.
    ~20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool, 3/4 HP pump, ~3 sqft sand filter (newly replaced May 2013), TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pump should be running for at least 30-60 before any test. And at least an hour after any chemical addition.

It is annoying that I am not home when the pump runs for solar. So I have to turn it on again in the evening, wait, test, add, wait, turn it off.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

While it's a good idea to test with a well-mixed sample, chlorine does NOT settle to the bottom. It stays in solution and will be distributed evenly throughout the pool. I can't answer why your tests were so different but want to emphasize that chlorine (nor any of the other parameters we test) does not settle to the bottom.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tcat
    I wasn't thinking and tested my FC about 15 minutes after my pump shut off. Got a "1" reading and I panicked, it'd been so good all week. So I turned on the pump and rechecked in 30 minutes, was "6", just what it should be. I was really surprised chlorine settles to bottom that fast. Another lesson learned
    The sun degrades the stuff faster at the top. Maybe you need to stick your arm a little deeper into the pool when you grab a sample?

I use a 4' piece of " PVC as a pipette to draw a sample from out away from the edge and a couple feet down.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I had assumed chlorine was heavier and sank, only explanation I could think of (and I was thinking the liquidator worked on that principle). I use a turkey baster at about 15" deep for each sample. I may try another pump off sample just to see if I can duplicate it tonight. I am using a homemade feeder that dispenses 32 oz. over the 4.5 hour pump cycle. That's why I thought it odd I only got a "1" 15-30 minutes after the pump stopped, should have been at max level for that 24 hour period.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

7. Back To Top    #7

Chlorine (aqueous) is slightly heavier than water but once mixed with water it doesn't settle out (i.e. separate). The liquidator makes use of this by the way the tank is filled to minimize mixing with the water.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater