Why chlorine injection

There could be any number of reasons, here are a couple, less worry with corrosion without high levels of salt in the water, no need to add another thing to test for (salt), and then of course there is the issue of no expensive failure prone cell to replace, sure pumps have moving parts that need to be replaced from time to time, but they tend to be cheaper than salt cells, and often fail more gracefully giving some warnings before they outright die.

Ike

No wiring.

And if you regularly drain water to lower high CH or whatever, you don't have all that salt going to waste and killing the lawn.

At least that's what I figure. I'm out on the patio several times a day smoking anyway, so sloshing some bleach in manually isn't a big distraction.

From what I have read I cant understand why more pool owners don't use this system. SWG seems so complicated. You guys have me considering a new project. How long does a SWG cell last in a seasonal pool (5 months)?

SWG has no carrying of bleach/liquid chlorine. Salt improves the feel of the water. SWG systems are readily available and fully supported. Chlorine injection systems are not generally packaged for residential use. SWG has better integration with an automation system, for example turning down the chlorine feed rate when switching to spa mode and providing for remote adjustment using some remote control systems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More info here: bleach-vs-swcg-t58580.html

I only spend about $200/yr on Clorox, and can't see the value in more equipment, something that needs replacing every 3 years, possible salt corrosion, at the same or greater cost (salt, recurring equipment cost, & electricity). I have a fairly shaded pool, so that probably makes Chlorine more cost effective (and less work).

duraleigh said:
You can make QUICKER changes to your FC with liquid chlorine but it's not any easier.... turning up the percentage on an SWG is about as easy as it gets.

Turning up the dial on a Stenner injection pump isn't so tuff either :grin:
And some folks, especially my better half don't like the salt feel,taste in the pool...I know I know you should not be drinking the water.... but we've been in a few salt pools and I can always taste a slight residual of salt when swimming?? Maybe the few pools we've been in has just had high salt levels?? But I LOVE my BBB liquid Chlorine ool :cool:

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk

SWG is probably the easiest system and requires the least amount of work. You still have to test of course, but you can go away for weeks and be assured that your pool will maintain FC levels. One minor problem is that the pH will keep going up so you will have to add acid quite often which can impact how long you can leave with no maintenance. Our neighbors added acid every couple of days. One major problem is that if you have natural stone vs. concrete the salt will eat the stone, sometimes within just a few years. Poolbuilders here will not install salt systems with natural stone. One of our neighbors had to have all their flagstone coping replaced.

Chlorine injection is pretty easy, but not as easy as salt. You have to add bleach (15 gallons) to the tanks probably at least every 3-4 weeks. We take 4-6 week vacations so need to recruit someone to fill the tanks while we are gone.

The costs are about the same, but with SWG you pay upfront, with bleach you pay over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.