LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2011
West Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I found a 50lb bag of Calcium Chloride at the local hardware store on clearance for $5 so I bought it. I have a vinyl liner pool and my CH is around 50. Along with everything else this gives me a CSI of -1.17.

Is there any real benefit to adding it to the pool as far as corrosion goes or should I just keep it for the sidewalks in the winter?

There's nothing for your water to erode at, and the metals (for example your heat exchanger) won't erode/corrode until your water is far more negative, for the purposes of a liner pool your water is considered to be balanced.

That being said there's no harm in maintaining CH levels if you feel it will make you more comfortable.

My CH has been zero for years and no noticable effect to any of the equipment at all.

I never worry about the CSI because I know it's not right. As long as you keep the rest of the chems at the levels recommended here you won't have a problem.

People put too much stock in the CSI number. It's not nearly as inportant as some people make it. As long as you keep the levels within the recommended ranges your pool will be fine.

Listen to bama!! CSI is almost never needed to even think about UNLESS you have some special issues which don't allow your chemistry to be within the guidelines we suggest.

A little out of contrariness :oops: , I have never calculated it for my pool and don't intend to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.