Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to drain pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to drain pool?

[attachment=0:3n9acfo6]phpKwC57RPM.jpg[/attachment:3n9acfo6]I just purchased a new home with a pool and we had a huge rain storm yesterday. It literally rained all day and night. I believe the water level is way too high as it's covering the filter intake completely. I think I need to lower the water level by at least a couple inches. I've attached a picture of my setup. Would greatly appreciate any advice and thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to drain pool?

With your filter you do not have a multi-valve that would allow for you to drain to waste.

I think you can open the drain on the filter and maybe hook up a hose there to then pump out the water.
    Or you could replace the 90 degree fitting that turns down after the pump with a T fitting and in the open end put a spigot valve that would allow you to hook up a garden hose and drain water off that way.

Do you have a place in the yard that is lower than the pool level? If so, you could just use a hose to siphon the water out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

There's a opening on top of filter where the water should come out. I just don't know how to release the water. If I turn the valve it just releases the air.

EDIT:
    Do I need to turn the filter on while the valve is open?

4. Back To Top    #4

Ummm ... yeah the pump would have to be on to force the water out of the top of the filter (with the pump off, you are allowing air INTO the filter and the water to drain back to the pool).

BUT, I do not think you want to spray that much water all over everything ... I suppose it will work, but pretty slowly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks...that worked great!

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't see a backwash line for the filter, think I would of opened the inline feeder lid and let the water drain from there as it can be controlled
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

7. Back To Top    #7

Where is the inline feeder?

8. Back To Top    #8

It's the cylindrical thing behind the left valve in your pic.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Understood. Thanks. May try that next time to see how it works in comparison.