Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about the TA test with the TF-100 test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about the TA test with the TF-100 test kit

It says in the instructions for the TA test to:

"3. Add R-009 one drop at a time, swirling between each drop. Wipe the tip of the bottle after every drop with a damp cloth."

I'm wondering about the "Wipe the tip of the bottle after every drop with a damp cloth" part. Why is this necessary? And how important is it?
    30K gal, 18x40 IG vinyl, 2 Speed 3/4hp Pentair Superflo Pump, Hayward S-244T Sand filter, BBB, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about the TA test with the TF-100 test kit

Quote Originally Posted by Krtismo
    It says in the instructions for the TA test to:

"3. Add R-009 one drop at a time, swirling between each drop. Wipe the tip of the bottle after every drop with a damp cloth."

I'm wondering about the "Wipe the tip of the bottle after every drop with a damp cloth" part. Why is this necessary? And how important is it?
    Static electricity can build up and cause the drops to be smaller than they should be, which will give you a false high TA reading. Probably only necessary for the first couple days, and anytime your TA makes an unexpected jump.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I CERTAINLY noticed this when I got my new kit this year TA with old test was about 70 and then with the new test was 120. I could visually see that the drops were not as big and seemed to jump off the tip quickly.

Confirmed with Dave that this is indeed what happens and that usually the static goes away after a while. I still have to be careful and think it may still be reading a little high, but it is not as bad as my initial tests.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Follow-up question:

Is it important whether or not to allow air back in through the tip with each drop, or will you get the same results by putting in each drop with one progressive squeeze?
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

My problem was at first the regent was just falling out as soon as I turn the bottle over. So I was have to squeeze the bottle upright and turn it over while sucking in to be able to control the drops.

Usually, you should be able to just squeeze out a nice drop every second and not hat to such air back in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for explaining this! I redid my test the correct way and my TA dropped from 110 to 80.

I guess I should start following directions!
    30K gal, 18x40 IG vinyl, 2 Speed 3/4hp Pentair Superflo Pump, Hayward S-244T Sand filter, BBB, TF-100