First Time Heating Pool –Gas Cost

pragmatic

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
Friendswood, TX
I wanted to share my first experience with heating our pool. I was very reluctant :| , but here’s the detail:
25K gallon (non-swg) IG-Plaster (Diamond-Brite)
5 days over Spring-Break (March 10~15); average outside mean temp-54F
Starting pool temp- 56F
Pentair Heater (400,000 BTU Master Temp Low Nox [NG]) set-point-89F
2hp single speed Super-Flow Pentair pump-used only 9hrs/day (with heater); 6AM-11AM and 8PM-Midnight
Base NG Use (210 CCF@ $0.07240/CCF)-$15.20
Adjusted (210 CCF@ $0.07240/CCF)-$138.11
Misc Fees-$25.32
Total-$178.63
Average monthly usage without heating pool-35CCF $43.37/month
Pool water temp fluctuated between 75F-89F. My total cost for heating over 5 days was about $135. I’m pleasantly surprised and will do it again :mrgreen:

skeeter_ca said:
Wow, you really should look into solar. It could boost your temp up some so heater would not have to run as much. I bet it would pay for itself in a year if you DIY'ed it.
skeeter
Thanks. I would if I could justify it. But, our area is warm (and humid :( ) most of the year. We mainly use the hot-tub during the colder months and will probably only heat the whole pool for an early spring dip; I'm guessing my heating cost will be a max of $400/year (Dont think that would cover the cost of a solar array-plus I don't see any in my hood; may be restricted by HOA). I'm more concerned with cooling the pool during the summer months. I hate 97F+ pool water on a hot day. My plan is to purchase before July a Glacier Chiller (evaporative type).

Fyi, Running solar at night can also cool the water. Also, pretty sure an HOA can not legally prevent having solar panels ... federal law or something.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Well, I wanted to update my heating experience for Spring 2014. This spring was certainly a bit colder; I raised my set-point, added a few days (9 days total) and set-it and forget it rather than the off/on (heater ran the whole time). Spring-Break (March 7~16); average outside temp-50F
Starting pool temp- 52F. My total cost for heating over 9 days was about $240. I’m still pleasantly surprised. Less than 1 night stay at a nice hotel. I'll certainly continue!

Well, I wanted to update my heating experience for Spring 2014. This spring was certainly a bit colder; I raised my set-point, added a few days (9 days total) and set-it and forget it rather than the off/on (heater ran the whole time). Spring-Break (March 7~16); average outside temp-50F
Starting pool temp- 52F. My total cost for heating over 9 days was about $240. I’m still pleasantly surprised. Less than 1 night stay at a nice hotel. I'll certainly continue!

Excellent pragmatic!

Did you also have the pool covered when not used at night? People are so afraid that gas is going to cost them big time. Propane, oh yeah it sure will cost you big but natural gas isn't that expensive.

Do people not know that many electric companies use natural gas to create electricity? So why not cut out the middle man if you have natural gas available.

Excellent pragmatic!

Did you also have the pool covered when not used at night? People are so afraid that gas is going to cost them big time. Propane, oh yeah it sure will cost you big but natural gas isn't that expensive.

Do people not know that many electric companies use natural gas to create electricity? So why not cut out the middle man if you have natural gas available.
Would love to use the cover. I'm guessing it would save about 20-30% (neighbor loves his cover). But, our water-loving Labrador just wont allow it. I can imagine the mess he'd cause with it.

I'm with you 100% on NG!! Keep us fracking brother!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would love to use the cover. I'm guessing it would save about 20-30% (neighbor loves his cover). But, our water-loving Labrador just wont allow it. I can imagine the mess he'd cause with it.

I'm with you 100% on NG!! Keep us fracking brother!!!

There are some liquid pool covers that can reduce the evaporation that causes some of the heat loss . Aquatain is one that's a twice a week application, I believe that the isoprpyl alcohol option is added daily.

http://www.srpnet.com/energy/powerwise/savewithsrp/pooldrops.aspx

There are some liquid pool covers that can reduce the evaporation that causes some of the heat loss . Aquatain is one that's a twice a week application, I believe that the isoprpyl alcohol option is added daily.

http://www.srpnet.com/energy/powerwise/savewithsrp/pooldrops.aspx
Very interesting! Thanks for posting

- - - Updated - - -

But the liquid cover does not work well if there is any wind.

So, I'm guessing wind would cause it to accumulate in one section, leaving a large majority "film-free"?

Nice post. Glad your getting the extra use of the pool and the cost is reasonable. I'm in Canada and had a NG Heater installed last year. Well worth it! We got notice that our rates are going up 40% this year due to the unusually harsh winter. Even with that extra cost we'll use ours from any hot days starting may to oct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.