Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Time Heating Pool –Gas Cost

1. Back To Top    #1

First Time Heating Pool –Gas Cost

I wanted to share my first experience with heating our pool. I was very reluctant , but here’s the detail:
    25K gallon (non-swg) IG-Plaster (Diamond-Brite)
    5 days over Spring-Break (March 10~15); average outside mean temp-54F
    Starting pool temp- 56F
    Pentair Heater (400,000 BTU Master Temp Low Nox [NG]) set-point-89F
    2hp single speed Super-Flow Pentair pump-used only 9hrs/day (with heater); 6AM-11AM and 8PM-Midnight
    Base NG Use (210 CCF@ $0.07240/CCF)-$15.20
    Adjusted (210 CCF@ $0.07240/CCF)-$138.11
    Misc Fees-$25.32
    Total-$178.63
    Average monthly usage without heating pool-35CCF $43.37/month
    Pool water temp fluctuated between 75F-89F. My total cost for heating over 5 days was about $135. I’m pleasantly surprised and will do it again
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22’X42’ Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10’X12’ Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Time Heating Pool –Gas Cost

Wow, you really should look into solar. It could boost your temp up some so heater would not have to run as much. I bet it would pay for itself in a year if you DIY'ed it.

skeeter
    47 yr old(1977) 18,000gal Kidney shaped 38ft long plaster Pool with built-in Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050 Pump, Pentair 48sf DE filter, Raypack RP2100 gas heater. HTH 5-way test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca
    Wow, you really should look into solar. It could boost your temp up some so heater would not have to run as much. I bet it would pay for itself in a year if you DIY'ed it.
    skeeter
    Thanks. I would if I could justify it. But, our area is warm (and humid ) most of the year. We mainly use the hot-tub during the colder months and will probably only heat the whole pool for an early spring dip; I'm guessing my heating cost will be a max of $400/year (Dont think that would cover the cost of a solar array-plus I don't see any in my hood; may be restricted by HOA). I'm more concerned with cooling the pool during the summer months. I hate 97F+ pool water on a hot day. My plan is to purchase before July a Glacier Chiller (evaporative type).

4. Back To Top    #4

Fyi, Running solar at night can also cool the water. Also, pretty sure an HOA can not legally prevent having solar panels ... federal law or something.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Last year I had a $350 gas bill because I forgot to turn off the heater for a couple days...

I need to get another quote on solar, last one was ~$7k.
    14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, I wanted to update my heating experience for Spring 2014. This spring was certainly a bit colder; I raised my set-point, added a few days (9 days total) and set-it and forget it rather than the off/on (heater ran the whole time). Spring-Break (March 7~16); average outside temp-50F
    Starting pool temp- 52F. My total cost for heating over 9 days was about $240. I’m still pleasantly surprised. Less than 1 night stay at a nice hotel. I'll certainly continue!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Well, I wanted to update my heating experience for Spring 2014. This spring was certainly a bit colder; I raised my set-point, added a few days (9 days total) and set-it and forget it rather than the off/on (heater ran the whole time). Spring-Break (March 7~16); average outside temp-50F
    Starting pool temp- 52F. My total cost for heating over 9 days was about $240. I’m still pleasantly surprised. Less than 1 night stay at a nice hotel. I'll certainly continue!
    Excellent pragmatic!

Did you also have the pool covered when not used at night? People are so afraid that gas is going to cost them big time. Propane, oh yeah it sure will cost you big but natural gas isn't that expensive.

Do people not know that many electric companies use natural gas to create electricity? So why not cut out the middle man if you have natural gas available.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Excellent pragmatic!

Did you also have the pool covered when not used at night? People are so afraid that gas is going to cost them big time. Propane, oh yeah it sure will cost you big but natural gas isn't that expensive.

Do people not know that many electric companies use natural gas to create electricity? So why not cut out the middle man if you have natural gas available.
    Would love to use the cover. I'm guessing it would save about 20-30% (neighbor loves his cover). But, our water-loving Labrador just wont allow it. I can imagine the mess he'd cause with it.

I'm with you 100% on NG!! Keep us fracking brother!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Another vote for solar. As far as I know it's expensive to use gas for heating pools, one reason why we switched to using solar panels a year ago.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Remember, solar works best under certain conditions. Gas works all the time.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Would love to use the cover. I'm guessing it would save about 20-30% (neighbor loves his cover). But, our water-loving Labrador just wont allow it. I can imagine the mess he'd cause with it.

I'm with you 100% on NG!! Keep us fracking brother!!!
    There are some liquid pool covers that can reduce the evaporation that causes some of the heat loss . Aquatain is one that's a twice a week application, I believe that the isoprpyl alcohol option is added daily.

http://www.srpnet.com/energy/powerwi...pooldrops.aspx
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

12. Back To Top    #12

But the liquid cover does not work well if there is any wind.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by dtlight View Post
    There are some liquid pool covers that can reduce the evaporation that causes some of the heat loss . Aquatain is one that's a twice a week application, I believe that the isoprpyl alcohol option is added daily.

http://www.srpnet.com/energy/powerwi...pooldrops.aspx
    Very interesting! Thanks for posting

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    But the liquid cover does not work well if there is any wind.
    So, I'm guessing wind would cause it to accumulate in one section, leaving a large majority "film-free"?

14. Back To Top    #14

Nice post. Glad your getting the extra use of the pool and the cost is reasonable. I'm in Canada and had a NG Heater installed last year. Well worth it! We got notice that our rates are going up 40% this year due to the unusually harsh winter. Even with that extra cost we'll use ours from any hot days starting may to oct.
    16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build