Vacuum port seal repair (or replace?) air leak

BruceInCola

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
Columbia, SC
I searched for the terms, but didn't see anything on this, so hopefully I am not duplicating.

When my booster pump is running, if I put my hand in the water, directly above the vacuum port, I can tell there is quite a bit of air escaping from behind the plastic/rubber fitting.

A couple of questions:
1. Is this a repair job, or do I need to replace something (vacuum port seal maybe?)?
2. Can this be done with water at or above the port level, or do I need to drain down below to work on it (not a problem as my stabilizer levels are currently crazy high right now, and I will need to drain 75% at some point according to calc)

Thanks!

When the booster pump is on there should not be any air coming from the system. The only way for air to get into the system is from a suction side leak.
Is your booster pump suction hooked to your main pump discharge?

Bama Rambler said:
When the booster pump is on there should not be any air coming from the system. The only way for air to get into the system is from a suction side leak.
Is your booster pump suction hooked to your main pump discharge?

Ah that makes sense. Not sure what I was thinking, but of course the air flow (when Polaris is running), is TO the pump via vacuum port, not the opposite. Duh.

Can you explain with more detail what a suction side leak is, and where I might be able to look for it?

I'm sorry I don't know if the booster pump suction is hooked to the main pump discharge. Could I tell that by just looking at the multivalve?

It looks very much like this, but I will snap a pic and post if it helps.

WC112-148_multi_port_valve_top_mount_pool.jpg

Thanks for the response!

A pic would help, but basically there'll be a line somewhere on the discharge side of the main pump between the pump and the filter that goes into the front of the booster pump.

When you're not running the booster pump is there air in the main pump basket or coming out of the returns?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.