Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum port seal repair (or replace?) air leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum port seal repair (or replace?) air leak

I searched for the terms, but didn't see anything on this, so hopefully I am not duplicating.

When my booster pump is running, if I put my hand in the water, directly above the vacuum port, I can tell there is quite a bit of air escaping from behind the plastic/rubber fitting.

A couple of questions:
    1. Is this a repair job, or do I need to replace something (vacuum port seal maybe?)?
    2. Can this be done with water at or above the port level, or do I need to drain down below to work on it (not a problem as my stabilizer levels are currently crazy high right now, and I will need to drain 75% at some point according to calc)

Thanks!
    15,694 gallons, Sta-Rite DE filter, 3/4 HP Heyward Superpump, Polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum port seal repair (or replace?) air leak

When the booster pump is on there should not be any air coming from the system. The only way for air to get into the system is from a suction side leak.
    Is your booster pump suction hooked to your main pump discharge?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    When the booster pump is on there should not be any air coming from the system. The only way for air to get into the system is from a suction side leak.
    Is your booster pump suction hooked to your main pump discharge?
    Ah that makes sense. Not sure what I was thinking, but of course the air flow (when Polaris is running), is TO the pump via vacuum port, not the opposite. Duh.

Can you explain with more detail what a suction side leak is, and where I might be able to look for it?

I'm sorry I don't know if the booster pump suction is hooked to the main pump discharge. Could I tell that by just looking at the multivalve?

It looks very much like this, but I will snap a pic and post if it helps.

Thanks for the response!

4. Back To Top    #4

A pic would help, but basically there'll be a line somewhere on the discharge side of the main pump between the pump and the filter that goes into the front of the booster pump.

When you're not running the booster pump is there air in the main pump basket or coming out of the returns?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help BR. Pool guys replaced the screw in fitting for the port which had a crack in it. They were already here doing a pool drain, so I had them look at it while they were there.

Not a TapAtalk Sig