Strobos

Strobos

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Hello everybody. I have a 13000 gallon 20 year old plaster pool. I stumbled into this site a year ago when I had pool problems and I was very impressed. The BBB system intrigued me but I was too busy to learn a new system and just continued doing what the pool companies recommended. Last summer I had algae issues (all types) and again this spring. So I shocked the pool, drained the pool completely, scrubbed the walls and floor with 9 gallons of full strength liquid chlorine. I rinsed and pumped out all the waste, refilled and added 3 lbs of cynuiric acid and dumped the remaining 3 gallons of chlorine in the pool. The pool pump is running continuosly. I will get the TF-100 kit from this site as soon as I am done with this post. My question. Is there a logical step by step procedure for starting a freshly cleaned and filled pool that I could follow? BBB is the goal. I just don't know enough to get there the easiest way. I don't want to make any mistakes.

Strobos from Phoenix, AZ

So your CYA should be about 30 ppm which is a good start.

You added 3 gallons of chlorine, but you didn't give the strength? Is it bleach or pool store liquid?

If it was 10% then it raised your FC by 23 and that puts you above mustard shock level.

At this point I'd let the FC come down to under 10 ppm and test and adjust the pH. Then when you get the new test kit, run a full set of tests and post the results.

:wave: Welcome to TFP

A good first step would be to read through Pool School a few times if you have not already to gain an understanding of the chemistry.

Consider a SpeedStir when you order your kit ... makes the testing easier and more accurate.

Thanks for the help. The bottle says it's HASA 12.5% sodium hypochloride. That's from the local pool store when I scrubbed the pool. The TF100 is ordered. I just did a quick teststrip (Aquachek) I had laying around. The pH is around 7.6, free chlorine max, TA 150, CY less than 30. I know these strips are not even close but will have to do until my test kits arrives.
Another question. The pool has a 1.5 HP motor, 3 returns and one aerator. There is also a waterfall which I use all the time because the pump is not straining as hard. I learned on this site that aeration by waterfall will raise the pH so should I stop using the waterfall on a regular basis? Water circulation is much greater with the fall and the pump sounds better.

So you should not have added all the 12.5% because that put your FC way too high for your now lower CYA. You will have to just wait for it to drop below 10ppm and then run a full set of tests.

You can run the waterfall all you want ... just realize it may make the pH rise faster than without and require more acid. If you get the TA lowered, that will help slow the rise.

OK, the TF100 finally came in Thursday afternoon. Here are yesterday's and today's results.

Yesterday. FC 2, CC 0.5, pH 8.2, TA 210, CH 220, CYA 20.
Based on the pool calculator, I added 39 flozs 14.5% muriatic acid and 65 flozs of 10% bleech.

Today. FC 5, CC 0.5, pH 7.8, TA 210, CH 220, CYA 20.
I have reservations about my TA and CYA results. Leslies has tested my water 3 times before. On 7 May, TA was 120 with a pH of 8.0 May 3 they got TA 150 with pH 8.0. May 1 TA was 100 with pH 7.6
I was extremely thorough with my testing so I don't know why my TA results are high two days in a row. The same with the CYA test. I was seeing the black dot when my wife couldn't. Leslies last CYA test was 45.
What should I do about the high TA? Should I ignore my CYA results?
Thanks everybody.

Initially the TA may be test high due to the static charge in the reagent. Did the drops seem large and hang off the tip, or did they come out real fast and seem small?

Did you wipe the tip between all the drops to try to counter that?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)