Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going Stenner / tank

1. Back To Top    #1

Going Stenner / tank

Gents,
    Going Stenner / timer / tank. I currently have a one speed pump but will be swapping out for a variable speed in the next 6-8 months as budget allows. What is the current wisdom on which stenner / timer combo and where to buy the pump and the tank.

... I seem to recall there being a cheap tank option but I cant seem to find it.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going Stenner / tank

I picked up a 15 gallon blue food grade container at the local recycling plant for $5. It once had Dr.Pepper syrup but it was easily cleaned and sanatised. A single speed pump is fine, just put it on a timer to run the allotted time needed.
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

3. Back To Top    #3

IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome ... that thread should be sticky. Thank you for the help.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

5. Back To Top    #5

I am using a 15 gallon bleach tank from an industrial laundry program (my family owns a janitorial and cleaning supply company, so this was an empty from one of the customers) It is complete with the right hazmat info.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

I got a 15 gallon barrel from a local car wash for $5. It was for a different use, but I'm thinking of getting another and a stenner pump as well. It had tire washing detergent residue in it so would have to be cleaned well.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

7. Back To Top    #7

Great tips guys - I'm going to hit the local car wash and Saint Arnolds...

8. Back To Top    #8

OK after a few rounds in different threads trying to decide what this whole thing is going to look like I have a plan.

Replace one of the existing 104 timers with an Intermatic P1353ME to run the currently single speed pump (future B2984) and the booster for the Polaris. I'll use the other T104 in the enclosure to drive the stenner (220V). The last think I am chewing on is do I add a Plug to the wall for the stenner or hard wire it in. Thoughts?

9. Back To Top    #9

I've read here that cutting the plug on the stenner can void the warranty. Some have suggested a pig tail.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan
    I've read here that cutting the plug on the stenner can void the warranty. Some have suggested a pig tail.
    I'll either put a surface mount plug in or void the warranty (meh). The pig tail DEFINITELY wouldn't pass code around here, the NEMA 6/15 is questionable given the distance to the water. I would probably need to put the plug 20' away from the pool which would be a stretch.

hmmmm... the pondering continues. Anyone know of a NEMA 6/15 GFCI outlet?

11. Back To Top    #11

Tank solved and stenner ordered. The local independent car wash GAVE me a 20 gal (quite very nice) tank.

Everything should be in order and ready to install on Friday...

12. Back To Top    #12

Gotta like free!
    Dan D