what to put around above ground pool

Apr 23, 2013
I have an 18 x 33' above ground just put in. The long side on right is going to need a retainer wall, we have that in mind. After that, what is the best to put down all around pool? We were tentatively thinking plastic, then pavers and finally heavy stone. Does this sound right? It is to be somewhat decorative but mostly to keep water from flowing underneath pool from high side and creating ruts through the sand below. Thoughts?

I just had the same size pool installed, the installer said to keep the warranty I have to backfill the pool up to 4", I said BULL. My last pool, a 24' round, rotted out after 12 years (a pool with a 35 yr warranty) which was backfilled with 3/4" stone. It seems grass clippings and debris finally impregnated the stone forming a stone / dirt. That seemed to hold moisture which probably helped rust it out. Also where there were upright supports which kept the backfill from rusting the exterior wall, it rusted from behind due to sand contact. I had them install this one with no sand touching the sidewall under the pool, I did this by using pool cove foam & putting a foam insulation on the pool walls. I also installed a liner pad. I haven't figured out what I will do on the outside yet. I installed drainage, pipe & stone around the pool (not touching it, but about 1 foot from base) to keep water away. I will probably put patio block against the lower "U" channel that the wall sits in packed with sand to keep any erosion from eating away at the foundation. I am thinking that I will spray the lower few inches with a heavy tar spray & attach heavy vinyl or something, then put large (ostrich egg sized) stone down. Anyone else have any suggestions?

I have decided that I will put 6" wide roofing flashing which is an adhesive rubber membrane around bottom of pool then put the stone around it. The membrane will keep the pool wall form getting wet & rusting & should prevent any rubbing against it by the stone and the stone will hide the black membrane.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.