Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what to put around above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

what to put around above ground pool

I have an 18 x 33' above ground just put in. The long side on right is going to need a retainer wall, we have that in mind. After that, what is the best to put down all around pool? We were tentatively thinking plastic, then pavers and finally heavy stone. Does this sound right? It is to be somewhat decorative but mostly to keep water from flowing underneath pool from high side and creating ruts through the sand below. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what to put around above ground pool

I know we are doing crushed rock and plastic around ours, possibly some drainage pipe in the crushed rock.
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

3. Back To Top    #3

I just had the same size pool installed, the installer said to keep the warranty I have to backfill the pool up to 4", I said BULL. My last pool, a 24' round, rotted out after 12 years (a pool with a 35 yr warranty) which was backfilled with 3/4" stone. It seems grass clippings and debris finally impregnated the stone forming a stone / dirt. That seemed to hold moisture which probably helped rust it out. Also where there were upright supports which kept the backfill from rusting the exterior wall, it rusted from behind due to sand contact. I had them install this one with no sand touching the sidewall under the pool, I did this by using pool cove foam & putting a foam insulation on the pool walls. I also installed a liner pad. I haven't figured out what I will do on the outside yet. I installed drainage, pipe & stone around the pool (not touching it, but about 1 foot from base) to keep water away. I will probably put patio block against the lower "U" channel that the wall sits in packed with sand to keep any erosion from eating away at the foundation. I am thinking that I will spray the lower few inches with a heavy tar spray & attach heavy vinyl or something, then put large (ostrich egg sized) stone down. Anyone else have any suggestions?

4. Back To Top    #4

Grass clippings? Why not use a leaf blower on it a few times a month... blow all that crud out
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

I have sand about 1 inch all the way around. Not touching any real metal. Gonna hit with fabric and 1 inch of crushed stone.
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013

6. Back To Top    #6

I have decided that I will put 6" wide roofing flashing which is an adhesive rubber membrane around bottom of pool then put the stone around it. The membrane will keep the pool wall form getting wet & rusting & should prevent any rubbing against it by the stone and the stone will hide the black membrane.