Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Northern Solar Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern Solar Questions

What is the weight of a standard 4x20 solar panel filled with water? I live in Michigan and I believe I could fit 4 panels on a section of my roof. What average sort of Temp increase would I see on say a 80 degree day?
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl 21000, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. Raypak Heater, Crystal Flo Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Northern Solar Questions

I don't know the numbers for a 4x20, but a 4x12 is 64 pounds for the TechnoSolis panels I have, other brands seem to be in the 55-68 pound range. Of course some of that water is in the headers so I would guess a 4x20 would be in the 100 pound range.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

I think 100 lbs is a good estimate ... really not very significant as far as weight goes.

Impossible to guess how much temp increase you will get in a day ... too many variables.

That would be 320 sqft of panels. How much surface area do you have on the pool? Do you use a cover? What direction is the roof facing? How windy is it? Also the air temp is not quite as important as the amount of sun. And on and on ...

Just get what you can fit and live with the results ... a cover will make a significant difference to how much heat is retained.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool is 512 sqft

I have a 12 mil cover

Roof has a slight angle east

not very windy

I would figure maybe a 40 degree increase on a cloudy day..................
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl 21000, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. Raypak Heater, Crystal Flo Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooly1
    I would figure maybe a 40 degree increase on a cloudy day..................
    I doubt you'd see a 40 degree increase on the hottest, sunniest day of the year.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I would guess you would see about 3-4 degrees on a good sunny day.

I have no cover, but have 500 sqft on S and W almost flat slope and I have seen about 5 degrees ... then lose most of it at night due to lack of cover ... just depends on how cold it gets and how windy.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh wow I was figuring I would be in
    the range of 5 to 10 degrees

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooly1
    Oh wow I was figuring I would be in
    the range of 5 to 10 degrees
    A solar cover makes a big difference. It took us about a week to tack on 15 degrees to our pool when the solar was installed, with the cover on and with night temps getting pretty low. Now that the night temps are more moderate we took off the cover and over night will lose 5 degrees or more then during the day get it all back. Today is cloudy and I hear it going on and off - we have only picked up 2 or 3 degrees so far.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

9. Back To Top    #9

We are getting 1 degree per full hour of sun. Around 8 per day lose 2at night.
    Just went over 70 degrees today. Should be swimming on Saturday with the sunny forecast.
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

10. Back To Top    #10

The most I have ever seen is 10 degree gain in one day. But the pool started at 78 and it was one of the hottest days (100+) of the year. I have about 80% area coverage.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater