Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I too have cloudy water and can't make it go away

1. Back To Top    #1

I too have cloudy water and can't make it go away

I opened my pool 18 days ago and it was a green mess. I shocked and brushed and got the pool to a milky white. The pump has run 24/7 since opening. Now the pool is very cloudy. Here are my numbers. I had no FC drop over night.
    FC 12
    CC 1
    CH 500
    CYA 110
    TC 13

I'm afraid I'm looking at draining about half the water but wanted someone a little more knowledgable to confirm my diagnosis. I have only had my TF100 test kit for 4 days now and most of my numbers have not changed. I have kept FC at shock level. I had leslies pools test my water a few times before I got my kit and they had very different results on a few things than I did. They tested before I shocked They showed CYA at 50 and CH at 280, TA 70, FC 2 ( before I shocked) PH 7.7 and Phospates at 250. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
    18000 gal, IG gunite, Zeosand Filter, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I too have cloudy water and can't make it go away

First - Welcome to TFP! I've been coming here for almost a year now and there are many people that will help you.

I'm sure others will chime in, but you need to verify / do a few things:

1. Verify your CYA level by testing again. If it is 100+, you need to drain and refill according to the pool calculator to get it down to the 40-50 range. With a CYA of 100, you need the FC at 39 to be at proper shock level, which will take a lot of bleach.
    2. I feel that you have raised the FC up and it has started to kill off the alge, but your FC is not high enough for your CYA and you will never get the cloudy water clear until you either get the FC way up, or lower the CYA
    3. Read "Pool School" in the upper right hand corner.
    20,000 IG WetEdge Satin Matrix Northshore Plum, Filled 8/24/12

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Did you achieve your CYA test using a dilution test of 1:1 fresh water/pool water? (If the answer is no test your CYA using the dillution method then double the result to get a more accurate result)

If your CYA is trully 110 that means your shock level is around 44ppm! you need to drain AT LEAST 50% of your pool water to get closer to the 50ppm CYA level desired (presuming your CYA reading is correct) I would be cracking on with the partial drain/refill before continuing the shock process.

Once you have your CYA down your pool will be easier managed. You could also do with testing your supply water to see the numbers and what effect they will have on your pool when refilling.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input. I have verified the CYA by using 1 to 1 pool and tap water. I will get started draining the pool when I get home from work tomorrow. I will test the tap water to get a better idea of how much to drain. I will post when this is completed. Thanks again

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by beckguys
    Thanks for the input. I have verified the CYA by using 1 to 1 pool and tap water. I will get started draining the pool when I get home from work tomorrow. I will test the tap water to get a better idea of how much to drain. I will post when this is completed. Thanks again
    Tap water will have no CYA. That simplifies the math, huh?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have ground water in your location? There is concern in areas with high ground water that draining too much water out of your pool can cause the pool to float up through your pool decking.

I've seen some threads where people that are concerned because of high ground water drain from the bottom of their pool are refill with a garden hose at the top, or some do it by draining from one side and filling at the other. Some have even bought a huge tarp and spread it out over the pool, fill water goes on tarp as pool water under tarp is drained.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have high water in my area so no concerns there. I totally drained my pool 2 years ago and retiled the deco trim around the top 6 in. of the pool. Last year I fought Green Algae off and on all year because I was not shocking long enough after I thought I had it under control. The last part of the year with my Dolphin Cleaning robot and proper shock technics I was able to enjoy a clear pool with all the readings in the proper range. I will start draining tomorrow and let you know the results.

8. Back To Top    #8

Given the first post, I am concerned that you still may not quite grasp the proper shock process if you were not raising the FC up into 40s:

pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I read thru the Chlorine/CYA chart and am getting a better understanding now. It looks as though I still need to drain about half the water and get a fresh start.

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree, that replacing half your water will make things easier going forward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

I drained the pool half way yesterday and refilled it tonight. Here are my new numbers:
    FC 5.5
    CC .5
    CH 320
    TA 120
    CYA 50

Per the pool calculator I added 396 oz of 8.25% bleach. The pump is running. I'll see what it looks like in the AM. Thanks for everyones input.

12. Back To Top    #12

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

I'll try to get some pics up when I get home. My FC is staying at 22 and CYA is 50 if I'm reading it right. The pool is pretty clear. I can easily see the drain at the deep end ( 10' deep). It is not crystal clear though