CYA at start up

Gotcha.

THANK YOU JasonLion. And everyone else who contributes.

I really appreciate this site. A lot.

I know this all will "come out in the wash". Just ready for it to do that already. Going to stay strong, and get it resolved.

It's already HOT here in Florida, so the whole family is ready for this pool.

Got up bright and early. Added borax, pH is at 7.2 now.

Going to go ahead with continuing to shock at this point (if my FC gets down to 0 at all, then I will also check pH just to keep an eye on it).

Going to head to the pool store today for CYA confirmation test (could not find any sort of expiration date on the container, lots of different lot numbers, just going to see what the store has to say) and salt test. I don't mind buying the salt there, I know it's a little bit more than wally world, but hubby is playing golf today and I'm already at 3 months expecting, so at least the pool store will load the stuff up for me and hubby can get it out when he gets home.

Jason, in your comment you mentioned a couple of possibilities of why there is no CYA reading but you didn't list the chance that it converted to ammonia. Based on her original post in this thread she mentioned she didn't properly close the pool and opened to a green swamp. That's more or less how I closed and opened my pool last year and that's what happened to my CYA.

You can buy an ammonia test kit from Petco or such for about $10. They are used for aquariums. To correct it, you use bleach. Lots and lots of bleach. I don't have much experience with ammonia, but I don't think it itself clouds the water. I also am not sure if bacteria would convert the CYA you have been adding quickly enough to keep reading 0. I believe it is a slow process.

Ok, Here are results from Pool Store:

FC 3 (I knew this was low, but I wanted to get an accurate pH reading from the pool store for comparison)
Salt 3100
CH 70
CYA 25
TA 70
pH 7.4

and of course they tested for phosphates (which I feel like I've read on here that that is a pool store thing).

Anyway, I went in honestly, said I use BBB and I have my own full Taylor test kit. And I still walked out with Alkalinity Up. According to Pool School, my TA is within normal, and I certainly don't want to risk my pH going up again. I know, bad me. I'm TERRIBLE at uncomfortable situations. (I have a site where I can sell stuff, kind of like a garage sale site...gonna see if I can get rid of it there. Or I may just try and return it.)

I did get some CYA from them though, and will be adding that in a sock.

But I had what I think may be an epiphany. We have been having TERRIBLE pollen lately. (Dude tried to sell me a product called Pool First Aid Kit, I was able to say no to that.)

I haven't had the skimmer basket on though. So, going to put that on, add some bleach, add my CYA, and see what happens. But could this cloudiness be an issue of pollen?

I am going to do an overnight FC test and also test for CC (for both testing for ammonia, thanks y'all, and also to maybe get 2 parts of the shock process checked off, if it's still cloudy.)

Will also try and get a picture posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it's only been 48 hours since I added the CYA I bought from the pool store (instead of the CYA from Walmart). I tested three items, FC, pH, and CYA.

FC 14
CYA 30
pH 7.2 (maybe just a tad higher)

I know pH may not be relevant at the high FC level. I can somewhat see the bottom of the pool now as well. Since I am a SWG pool, can I go to shock any higher (meaning, will it work quicker) even though my CYA level is not showing higher yet? (I have a feeling it will prove to be higher in a few more days, I know from Pool School that it can take a good bit of time for CYA to show up.)

EGGARTFAM said:
it's only been 48 hours since I added the CYA I bought from the pool store (instead of the CYA from Walmart). I tested three items, FC, pH, and CYA.

FC 14
CYA 30
pH 7.2 (maybe just a tad higher)

I know pH may not be relevant at the high FC level. I can somewhat see the bottom of the pool now as well. Since I am a SWG pool, can I go to shock any higher (meaning, will it work quicker) even though my CYA level is not showing higher yet? (I have a feeling it will prove to be higher in a few more days, I know from Pool School that it can take a good bit of time for CYA to show up.)

Don't waste your reagent retesting CYA for a while. If it is dissolved, assume it is there and go ahead adjust the FC shock level accordingly.

CYA/Shock levels are the same for non-SWG and SWG pools.

Update.

New pool store I had gone to can't take back unopened chemicals. Drat.

Was getting pretty fed up with feeding bleach and not seeing any improvements. Had a nagging suspicion I should vacuum the dark spots instead of brushing them.

Finally had time today to vacuum and I now have enough pine straw to stuff a small throw pillow. Hoping this will "clear" up the issues. Literally. It's hot and we are all ready to swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.