Transitioning from Modified Bicarb Startup to BBB

bigfunky

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2012
Wayne, PA
Our pool was built last fall except for the quartz finish (CL Industries SunStone Select Sapphire) which PB did last Tuesday 4/23. When speaking with PB he said the plasterers would do a light acid wash to expose the quartz, I was kinda bummed because everything I read in onBalance's posts advised against it. I tried to talk PB out of it and he said its up to the plasterers, warranty, etc...so I let it be. The plasterers showed up a day early so I did not get to build my 55 gallon drum for the bicarb startup, I thought the whole bicarb startup was going down the crapper. In watching the plasterers I noticed near the end they just washed the quartz finish with a light spray of water from the hose and used a soft bristle brush to expose the quartz. The leftover water was pumped out of the pool. I was happy about that, no acid wash!

So I decided to add bicarb to the pool after filled, I added 36 lbs of A&M baking soda which took my starting alkalinity from 140 to 230, I also added calcium to increase the hardness to 230, my pH has never been above 7.8 and there is very little plaster dust when I brush (2x per day). The finish looks great and the water is clear. I have added CYA and Bleach to get those levels up.

What I am curious about is how to I change my levels to transition to the BBB method? According to onBalance's post "A Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP Members" he mentions keep the TA high for a month, do I lower it after that using the "Lower Total Alkalinity" from Pool School?

Here is a summary of my latest results from my TFT Test Kit

TA - 230
CH - 230
pH - 7.8
FC - 2.0
TC - 0.0
CYA - didn't measure yet because just added
Pool Volume - 26,000 gallons and a salt pool but I have not added yet

Before brushing, pool is clear
IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

Pool is 62F, outside temp is 45F, I'm losing heat!!!
IMG_2503.JPG

Clear to the dirty bottom, wish I could vacuum, light shimmering off bottom
IMG_2504.JPG

After brushing
IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

Thanks for all your help

bigfunky said:
According to onBalance's post "A Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP Members" he mentions keep the TA high for a month, do I lower it after that using the "Lower Total Alkalinity" from Pool School?

Yup. That is the only way to lower the TA. It will drift down due to you maintaining the proper pH, but the process in Pool School, just gives you the ability to drop the TA faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.